Caribou Gear Tarp

2010 S.E. Washington late mule deer

Jackelope

Well we got it done. Day 3 we killed the 1st buck we saw. We had a really tough hunt and I was starting to get discouraged. It was snowing sideways, socked in with fog and there was a ton of trees blown down blocking the 46 road and the Tucannon road. We cut and pulled about 10 trees off of the Tucannon road to get down to Meadow Creek. We didn't see squat down there.
On day 3 Monday we woke up to snow and wind. We ended up deciding to head to the upper area of the unit where we had seen a bunch of deer sign the day before. We ended up having to chain up BC's truck to make it up there. Got up there and it was socked in with fog and snowing sideways. We looked around for a while and decided it wasn't worth wasting fuel so we turned around to head back to camp. We decided to turn off onto a spur road and we saw a muley doe standing on the side of that spur road. Then out popped my buck. I jumped out of the truck, got a rest and dumped him in his tracks. Sorry I don't have a glamorous 300 yard stalk to the finishing shot but after not seeing any bucks for 3 days I couldn't walk away from this guy. He goes just shy of 150" and is by far my biggest muke deer to date.
IMG_5689.jpg

Last edited:
Day 3 of a 5 day hunt season we managed to find this buck. We had very rough conditions with temps in the teens, fog and snow blowing sideways. We had a great first day with clear skies and country we could glass for miles. We spotted a bunch of deer on day one but nothing we wanted to shoot. We decided we'd go check out some new country on day 2, that didn't pay off so back to where we started for day 3. When we got up there we were socked in with fog. We drove around in a lot of snow trying to find some areas not fogged in. We struck out with that so we decided to head back to camp to wait for a break in the weather. Before we got out of the woods we decided to turn off a spur road and check out the area we started in on day 1. A short time after turning onto the spur, we saw this buck out in a small clearing dogging a doe. A quick shot later and this big old guy was on the ground. My taxi thinks he might be 8.5-9.5 years old. I'd like to thank my 2 buddies Dave and Drew and our mascot Magnum.
He's 25" outside, scores 148 7/8 and is by far my biggest buck to date.
IMG_5689.jpg

That's an awesome photo with the snow coming down. You should definately frame that one.

Funny how it goes sometimes. Looks like you got out and glassed some good country. Congrats on a stud of a muke deer!!! :)

Really great pics! Interesting what a quick jaunt down some side road will reveal... Fantastic buck there! Great country!

That is some really cool looking country.
Congrats, nice buck.

Awesome pic! Thats some fun country. There are some real pigs in those mtns, usually you see them when elk hunting. The "great" state of WA does not let you hunt them during elk season though, glad to see someone connected on one those. Great buck.

That is a great buck Jackelope, and truly an awesome picture.

Hey I know you...
:)

Thanks for all the kind words from everyone...

A few more notes on this hunt. I had the 1 and only tag and it was the 1st year Washington had a late hunt in here so I was pretty happy to be that guy!!
We found this buck at almost 6k feet. There was plenty of snow on the ground so I'm wondering if he was planning on spending the winter up there. We saw elk, muleys and whitetails over the course of this hunt all at that elevation, also cut 4-5 different sets of lion tracks and 1 set of bear tracks up there. We're hoping to see WDFW issue some lion tags for the houndsmen of this state for that area in the next couple years. Everybody knows there's plenty of them there.

Jackalope,

I once heard a saying that applies here, "When Mother Nature opens her hand, accept quickly before the b**** changes her mind". An easy one now and then isn't a bad thing! ;) Great buck and better photos!

Rutting mulies and lots of snow go together like peanut butta and jelly. I have a soft spot for mulies, like Big Fin has for antelope. I love hunting those big, blocky, rutting bucks. They are thinking only of the ladies and make lots of poor decisions they wouldn't otherwise make. I need all the help I can get so it works well for me!

I hope you draw the same tag agin next year Jackalope. Congrats on a beauty of buck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back