NEW SITKA Ambient 75

2010 MT Mule deer

BuzzH

Kind of starting backwards on the hunt, but dont have all the pictures I need so will start another thread about the first part of our family deer hunt in Montana.

Anyway, after my Dad, Brother, and wife all filled their tags I was still holding my tag looking for a special buck. I passed on a LOT of deer, the "worse" hunting day I passed up 7 decent bucks.

The evening before I took my deer, I saw a great buck that I still wonder if I should have shot. It was a 30"+ wide 3 point with opposite forks and great eye guards. I had him stone cold standing broadside at 120 yards, my rifle across my pack, safety off. I decided to pass and on the walk back I wasnt sure of my decision.

The next morning was clear and about -12 degrees. I started the morning hiking into some country that we had hunted earlier in the week. I found 2 familiar bucks that I'd seen before. One was a large, tall 3x3 with great eye guards. The other was a 3 point on one side and a 5 point on the other with a split G-3. He was an old buck and very cautious. My brother and I watched him for about 1/2 hour as he peered into draws and walked around a small area looking for danger while selecting a bedding area. I had the drop on him as well at about 300 yards and again, I struggled with the decision to pass on him or not. I finally decided to pass and hiked another mile and a half to another spot that looked promising.

While hiking to the next spot, I glassed an open hillside with a lot of tracks leading into the draw I was headed for. So, I had a pretty good idea there were deer where I was going. There was a series of 3 smaller draws, then the main draw, so I cautiously edged into each one, glassing them carefully as I went. Nothing.

Finally when I got to the main draw, I immediately spotted 2 does feeding about 130 yards away. I hadnt been there for more than a minute when one of the does trotted uphill fast and stopped. I knew they had no idea I was there and I also figured that there was a buck chasing the doe. Sure enough, out steps a great buck. I glassed him with my binoculars and my decision was made. He walked about 5 steps further up the hill into the open and I chambered a round and placed the leupold dot on his chest. Before I shot though, I wanted to take one more look. I pulled up my glasses and looked at him one more time...I burned the image of that buck standing there into my mind, noticed the steam coming from his nose and the frozen ice on his face. I lowered my binoculars, raised my rifle and ended my 2010 deer hunt with a well placed shot to the shoulders.

Perfect weather and a perfect deer hunt. Often times I question whether its worth it to spend the money, apply for the permits, get up at 4 am for 10 days straight. On days like this, there is no question...no debate...its worth every ounce of effort, time, and money spent.

My buck:

2010deer%20079.jpg

A closer look, not sure on the age but the bucks teeth are wore to the gum line:

2010deer%20080.jpg

Almost hate to clutter the picture with me in it...but:

2010deer%20065.jpg

Wow! Great buck. A deer like that would make anyone happy. Congratulations.

Great looking buck Buzz, congrats. Sounds like an all around great trip, looking forward to seeing the rest of the photos.

He walked about 5 steps further up the hill into the open and I chambered a round and placed the leupold dot on his chest. Before I shot though, I wanted to take one more look. I pulled up my glasses and looked at him one more time...I burned the image of that buck standing there into my mind, noticed the steam coming from his nose and the frozen ice on his face. I lowered my binoculars, raised my rifle and ended my 2010 deer hunt with a well placed shot to the shoulders.

Great story - great buck! That quoted material... If your not a writer... may be a fun hobby to take up. Good stuff!

Congrats, Buzz. You know our deer are not that happy to see you and your buddies pulling into the trailhead.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back