Yeti GOBOX Collection

2009 MT deer

BuzzH

Finally getting around to writing and posting a few pics of our MT deer hunt this year.

My good friend Brian and I decided to put a camp in this year over in Eastern Montana in an area neither of us had hunted before. Brian and I hunted a ton together in High School and College, but shortly after College we kind of went different ways. I always enjoyed hunting with Brian and some of the toughest hunts I've ever done have been in his company, defining moments to be sure.

Anyway we set up camp and settled in for a week of just having fun. We both decided to not worry about score, not worry about killing the biggest deer in the area...our goal was to get back to the basics. I've been caught up in trying to kill the biggest critters for 5-6 years, and frankly, I'm over it. Its nice to get a big critter, no question, but the hunt is way, way more important than the kill. I often catch myself day dreaming of the days when I went to the field with a sandwich, a dragging rope, a couple extra shells,...all in a fanny pack along with a knife and rifle. Now its spotting scope, binoculars, range finders, gps, an entire pack full of crap.

Brian and I had a great couple days exploring country, seeing some deer and other wildlife along the way, including a stag buck still in the velvet with several points coming off the base of his antlers. Finally on about the third day, Brian and I peeked over a ridge and jumped a nice buck out of his bed. Brian thought it was good enough for him, as he wanted a cape for a set of antlers off a deer he'd killed several years ago, so settled in for the shot. I was running the video camera and heard a "click" as Brian forgot to put a shell in his rifle. He quickly worked the bolt and promptly shot the buck, a real solid buck. While dressing the buck, Brian cut his finger and had to use superglue to close it up...more on that later.

The next day, we hiked into an area we'd hunted previously. Brian found a real nice buck on a distant skyline and we made our way over to it. Just as I was setting up to kill that buck at 320 yards, he dropped over the ridge. Thinking we could just head up there and find him again, we took off. We got to the top and discovered the deer down in the draw on the other side. Brian ranged him at 440, about the time a couple does saw us and started milling around, obviously aware we were there. Brian went back to get our packs and I noticed the deer really started getting nervous and the does starting heading away. I hate shooting long range, but I've done a lot of shooting this year. I decided if I wanted a deer I better get to work. So, I layed down in an awkward spot, not really comfortable and kind of in a low spot. I squeezed the trigger and whacked my head a good one, right above my eyebrow. I saw I missed the buck low, but not by much. I then noticed that a large amount of blood was freely running down my nose and pooling up. I found a better spot and got a better rest. The buck I shot at first had taken off, but his smaller companion was now standing right where he had been. I regained what was left of my composure, which was pretty frazzled at that point, and held just a pinch higher. I heard a distinct "thump" and the deer slowly jogged toward me on rubber legs and collapsed in about 50 yards. Brian came up with the packs and I pointed out how cool I was with the "scope bite". He got a good laugh out of it, while I tried to control the bleeding. Brian hit the range finder and my shot was 475 yards. I couldnt have hit that deer any better at 100 yards.

We walked down to my deer and before we did anything Brian poured some super-glue on the scope bite sealing it up better than a doctor would have. While dressing my deer, I managed to cut my hands 3 times, all requiring more superglue. Brian cut his hand again as well! I felt like I was taking my life in my hands being around anything sharp! Brian referred to us as "team superglue" the rest of the trip, which was well deserved. We boned the deer and walked the 3.3 miles back to the truck. While packing that buck back to the truck, Brian and I stopped on a steep part of the climb. I looked over at Brian and with the sun hitting just right, I noticed the lines on the corner of his eyes and the gray in his hair...making me realize that we'd been friends for a long damn time, well over 20 years. I joked that "he was looking old" and then I laughed, because I know I'm right there with him.

The next couple days we drove around and checked possible spots for next year and Brian filled his doe tag with a nifty shot at 350 yards right through the heart. He also got some video of me shooting some sharptails, which was amazing considering how hard he was laughing the whole time.

All in all the best trip I've done in the last several years, and amoung the best few hunts I've done. A combination of things making it so...new country, hunting with a good friend again, some great weather, not worrying about finding the biggest deer, no pressure...just hunting boiled back down to the basics.

Anyway, a few pics:

The country:

IMG_3276.JPG

Brians deer:

IMG_3239.JPG

Brian and I with my deer:

IMG_3264.JPG

Exit wound on my deer:

IMG_3261.JPG

One last picture of Brian packing out his deer:

IMG_3246.JPG

Last edited:
Great job buzz. I love the story and sounds like all of us can learn from it. Congrats to both of you again on great trophies.

Sounds like a great hunt Buzz. Congrats on the lasting memories and thanks for sharing the story with us.

Buzz,

Nice bucks. Sounds like you both had fun.

I agree with IB, lots of guys I know could learn something from this story.

Thanks for sharing,

Fellowship and introspection, IMHO,can be the most important benefits of a hunt. Good read.

Sounds like another great hunt Buzz. Thanks for sharing it with us. Good looking country also. I was thinking and feeling the same way while hunting with my uncles this year of how the years have went by so quick and how important it is to cherish every moment.

Great story. Makes us all think about how things used to be. Nice bucks, also.

That story pretty much proves the Theory of Evolution.....

Congrats Buzz on a great hunt, and, for not worrying about the quality of critters, you guys did very well.....

Sounds like a great time with a good buddy. Both those deer look to be pretty good for not worring about a trophy animal. Great job and congrads.

It was an impressive scope bite I must say. The blood trail leading away from the rifle was equally impressive. Should have gotten pictures of that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back