Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

2 weeks to TKR

Had a TKR october of 2018 right after a WY hunting trip.

Takes recovery time, but for me it was life changing. No more daily ice, massive pain after walking any distance, or even just standing.

2 weeks? Do squats now, stretch your quads and IT band now.

Last edited:
Had a TKR october of 2018 right after a WY hunting trip.

Taked recovery time, but for me it was life changing. No more daily ice, massive pain after walking any distance, or even just standing.

2 weeks? Do squats now, stretch your quads and IT band now.
I cannot wait for this pain to stop. I've been working it out pretty good for several weeks, hope it's enough

One thing that sort of freaked me out, which they don't tell you. Your quads will be asleep for a few days, as in totally non-functional. You won't be able to sit in a chair, or lay on your back and lift your foot. Those muscles simply won't work for a few days, suddenly they come back to life

I’m approaching the big 50 and staring down a possible knee replacement due to my misguided attempt at being a motocross racer in my late teens and early twenties.
How has everyone handled getting back to elk hunting and backpacking after knee replacement surgery?

I'm sorry. I've had both done since I started this thread, both times the pain after the nerve block wore off was intense, but only lasted a day. Last one I went from 2mg dilaudid every 6hrs to 6mgs dilaudid every 3 hrs to get through, don't hesitate to ask your Dr about raising your dosage if you haven't already. Good luck!!

I'm sorry. I've had both done since I started this thread, both times the pain after the nerve block wore off was intense, but only lasted a day. Last one I went from 2mg dilaudid every 6hrs to 6mgs dilaudid every 3 hrs to get through, don't hesitate to ask your Dr about raising your dosage if you haven't already. Good luck!!
You should prolly go ahead and try to wean y'self off em now Bigjay . . .; )

My wife is a RN and keeping me sufficiently medicated. I couldn't imagine doing this without a great support system in place.

I am 5 years after tkr. I had the nerve block. Don't remember massive pain after

As for hunting. I went from needing ice and a puke bucket after any distance walking, hiking was impossible and couldn't handle 18 holes of golf walking. Now, well this morning was 5 miles elk hunting, in the snow. I've packed out 2 elk, walk 18 holes multiple times a week all summer

Total life changer for me, but the process sucks.

I had the same experience. I tried hard to elevate my leg with nothing supporting the knee to get it to straighten out, but it's definitely not easy. Monday will be week 4, I'm pretty much off of a cane and crutches, take only one or 2 ibuprofen a day. It feels like a long ass road, but it really does get better pretty quickly.

I had both done at the same time 10 years ago, up with a walker the evening of surgery, home the next day. Used the Iceman, walked with a cane for a few days and then several weeks of PT and resistance training in the gym. That first time walking downhill with NO pain was so gratifying. I definitely lost some range of motion, can't squat like I used to but can get down on either knee to work on stuff. Chukar hunting last month was a killer on my Achilles and breathing but the knees had no problem. Good luck, the future is bright!

Morning day 5. Don't necessarily like the feeling of full dose of pain meds and thought, since the pain tolerable, I backed off on them. I think that was a bad idea and more pain this morning than yesterday. Since I'm a side sleeper and really don't sleep well on my back, sleep hasn't been great. Can get better sleep on my side but seems to be more pain when I wake up.

When did you notice the swelling start to go down? I'm using the ice machine nearly non-stop but still seems pretty swollen and tight.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back