Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

1st Archery Elk Hunt

Summitthunting

I'm taking my 15yr old nephew on his first archery elk hunt this fall. Were going to hunt somewhere near Durango, backpack in for a week. Planning on getting him a either sex elk and possibly a deer tag if he draws. I havent hunted elk in September in a long time. Should we go the first week of the season or wait till the last week. What time frame will give him the best oppurtunity for any animal, cow, bull, buck or doe? Thanks

I understand your excitment, I'll be taking my 15 y/o daughter on her first elk hunt this year too! :D

If you're getting away from the crowds, then I would give the road hunters time to push more elk into the back country.

FWIW, i have hunted the last 2 seasons in unit 7 & 8. We heard zero bugling, hunted sept 12-21 both times. Everyone we talked to said later the better. Wont be going back this year.

It's been my experience that the first week of the season is the best. There won't be much bugling, but they haven't been pushed and called at by every swinging dick with the latest and greatest Primos call. Plus, you want to be out of there before the muzzleloaders get in there. A gentle cow mew every once in a while will get their attention, but they will usually come in quiet to investigate.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newhunter2
Back