#11 percussion caps?!?

muzzleloaders and more lcc here in salem oregon is where i got some last time at a fair price//see there website//they should be at the horse ridge rondevue next weekend in bend oregon

To confirm you're looking for #11 percussion caps not musket caps right?

Powder Valley has sleeves aka 1000 pack

Supposedly in stack at Scheels in Sandy, Minot, and Bismarck...in store purchases only

Last edited:
To confirm you're looking for #11 percussion caps not musket caps right?

Powder Valley has sleeves aka 1000 pack

Supposedly in stack at Scheels in Sandy, Minot, and Bismarck...in store purchases only
Thank you I ordered 1000 of the CCIs.

I have a el cheapo traditions 50cal. Have yet to try it. I have 3 lbs of pyrodex select ffg. Would it be smart to try and find real powder? Swiss FFFg? Is there an advantage of FFF to FF? I have no clue. I’d guess any of it will make it go bang.

I have a el cheapo traditions 50cal. Have yet to try it. I have 3 lbs of pyrodex select ffg. Would it be smart to try and find real powder? Swiss FFFg? Is there an advantage of FFF to FF? I have no clue. I’d guess any of it will make it go bang.
My experience with pyrodex is back when it first came out and had meh results. It seems to be cleaner than black powder but equally corrosive. You'll get a bit more oomph from real black powder but likely negligible.

Generally FFg is best for 50 cal on up but FFFg will do fine. You'll need to start a touch lower powder charge for FFFg because it's a finer powder. Swiss powder is probably the best stuff. Goex Ole Ensenford is probably second best but after they were bought I haven't seen any. Scheutzen and Grafs are the same powder with different labels. Both good and often slightly cheaper

When I used sidelock guns in 50 and 54 caliber, I used Pyrodex FFg. It worked just fine.

I am using Pyrodex RS which is FFG equivalent. It has worked well for me. I bought it when black powder was hard to get. I have several pounds and intend to use it up before I try black. I remember reading that actual musket caps were recommended for Pyrodex. Mine is .58 so I changed over to the larger musket nipple before I ordered caps. I would try it out with #11 caps and the Pyrodex and if ignition is sketchy at all I would get black powder. Pyrodex has a weird stink but I don't let that bother me.

When I used sidelock guns in 50 and 54 caliber, I used Pyrodex FFg. It worked just fine.
Based on what @MTTW said, I might have been talking out of my rear when I said I used “Pyrodex FFg.” I do know that whatever I used in Pyrodex was the equivalent of FFg.

You use 2F or 3F BP in a fifty. I use 2F in my 50 & 58. Clean up with BP is easy you can do well with room temperature water. Then follow up with dry patches and a patch with oil for storage some use WD40. There are many ways to clean a BP rifle so check out sites like muzzleloader.com for other ideas. Pyrodex is more corrosive than some think and many a barrel has been ruined because some get the idea you don't need to clean it right away YMMV. Currently Swiss is the most available BP. You can order it from Powder Inc. or Buffalo Arms in Idaho. It's best to get a few guys together and order at least 10 lbs. as the haz mat charge is the same for 1 pound or 50 pounds. I buy 25 pounds at a time so it cuts cost. Capitol Sports in Helena sometimes has BP in stock. Plus they carry BP supplies for your rifle.
Good luck
Dan

Don’t neglect giving it a bath after you shoot it. Even if you only shoot it a couple times. Learned that the hard way.6E2B4BA0-5D8A-48A8-A47E-3AE185574A57.jpeg
I shoot that powder it seems to shoot good.

I really wanted to shoot a deer with mine this year. But after watching a group paw through the snow for a couple hours I walked the other direction back to the pickup.

I just ordered 10lbs of Swiss FFG. Will split with a friend, assuming that’s a lifetime supply. Have 3 of these, I think the same as the above.

15733C7E-FA6D-4DF1-A8FC-CCD4DBDE47FE.jpeg

Where in the absolute PFHUCK can I find some?
You don't really mean #11 musket caps. You want #11s or musket caps. They are not the same. I will guess you want #11. Crater Fireworks has some RWS which I have used a lot. They work very well.

Stick with the Swiss. Whatever granulation you got, it's better than anything Pyrodex. Very carefully pour the Pdex on your garden or down a gopher hole. Do not ever put it down a muzzle. 10 lbs of Swiss will last a couple of months if you don't shoot a lot :)

You don't really mean #11 musket caps. You want #11s or musket caps. They are not the same. I will guess you want #11. Crater Fireworks has some RWS which I have used a lot. They work very well.

Stick with the Swiss. Whatever granulation you got, it's better than anything Pyrodex. Very carefully pour the Pdex on your garden or down a gopher hole. Do not ever put it down a muzzle. 10 lbs of Swiss will last a couple of months if you don't shoot a lot :)
There it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back