Caribou Gear Tarp

10x32 Swarovski EL's

Good info here! In the end, I agree with everyone that the advantages of a 50mm objective aren't really worth the weight, but a 10x42 is great compromise.

After reading the Wiki link provided above, it doesn't look like the amount of light is limited in the human eye and thus bigger is better. Did I miss where they cover that?

Last edited:
Good info here! In the end, I agree with everyone that the advantages of a 50mm objective aren't really worth the weight, but a 10x42 is great compromise.

After reading the Wiki link provided above, it doesn't look like the amount of light is limited in the human eye and thus bigger is better. Did I miss where they cover that?
Sort of. Bigger is only better if your eye can use it. For example, if your eyes can only dilate to 4.2mm, assuming everythings the same with the binos, a 10X50 pair should appear no brighter than a 10X42 pair.

PS- I'm anxiously awaiting the new optics book that John Barsness is writing as I do find the subject a bit facinating

Thanks for all the information...

I really like my Swaro 10x42's slc's, but was thinking Pat would like the 10x32 EL's...lighter, smaller.

1_Pointer - great explanation. If that book helps any of us with this I think it's totally worth it and I need a copy. I'd say there's a lot about optics that's not understood.

Thanks for all the information...

I really like my Swaro 10x42's slc's, but was thinking Pat would like the 10x32 EL's...lighter, smaller.

Buzz, probably a good choice for the wife a pair of EL's in this power range and objective glass size. I don't believe there is any difference in the glass between a pair of standard EL's and the SLC's, just housing construction and material. I think those SLC's are one of the best made pair of optics on the market, similar in construction quality to the older Leica BN series. I don't think the SLC model ever came out with the 10x32 power & glass size, so the EL's would be the way to go.

There is a slight difference in the SLC's and EL's. The gap between the two has shortened now that the SLC's have HD glass, but the EL is still better quality glass although for most people it is hard to see the difference. The EL's have a field flattener lens in them so there will not be any distortion in the glass from edge to edge. The SLC has the slightest distortion in the edges and are heavier than the EL's. havgunwilltravel is correct- the 10X32 is only offered in the EL and I agree that they are the way to go.

I significantly prefer 8x to 10x when looking at the 32mm objective class bino's. The larger exit pupil makes for a more 'relaxed' time glassing for your eyes, ie less eye strain. I can do extended glassing sessions a lot more easily with a bigger exit pupil vs a small one, and 10x32's by nature have a pretty small one.

For me it isn't about light gathering.

I'm not sure what these go for but there is a new pair on the Rokslide classified for $1250 shipped

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back