MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

<$1000 Over/Under Shotguns

I have a CZ drake as my “workhorse” for dog training and late season pheasants. I like the gun but some of the finish is already wearing, if you go CZ get there new All terrain with cerekote.

I wouldn't buy any of the guns on your list. I would stay away from anything made in Turkey. Look in the used market for any of the options below and pick what fits you best.
Browning Citori
Any of the Beretta BL series guns (BL3 BL4) or a Silver Pigeon
Miroku made Charles Daly
SKB or SKB made Ithica
Japan made Winchester 101
Ruger Red label (These are solid guns but no longer made so parts could be hard to find and they’re heavy)

There are plenty of good guns under $1000. I went through the same thing when buying my first O/U. My go to bird gun is a Browning Citori 12ga that I bought for $800 used.
Browning.jpg

Last edited:
We're the proud new owner of a Sauer Artemis 12 ga.

Went and looked at dozens and dozens of shotguns over the last 2 weeks and found some good, some bad, and some ugly. My personal favorite was a Browning Citori White Gold followed by a used Charles Daly Miroku. I wasnt shopping for me though!

This one fit her like a glove and the fit, finish, and wood is perfect.

If you're a smaller person or have a wife that needs a fancy shotgun I would check these out while they're still half price at Sportsman's Warehouse

20200219_164121.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone have recommendations on sub-$1000 over/unders in 12/20ga? Looking for something for my fiance to take to South Dakota this fall for pheasants and sharptails. She's 5'6", not sure if she'll fot better in a reduced LOP or youth model instead of a full size.

The list of contenders I've compiled in no particular order so far looks like this:

CZ Redhead Premier
CZ Drake
Mossberg Silver Reserve 2
ATI Cavalry SX
Weatherby Orion
TriStar Hunter
TriStar TT-15
Stevens 555

Any experience with any of these or other suggestions?

I'd get the one she thinks fits her the best, and that she's drawn too. If it's her gun, then let her pic it.

Just my $.02.

I have the Tri-Star in 28ga. and it is a pleasure to carry and shoot.
Have only had it a year, but it has shot great at many clay sessions and kills rabbits without turning them inside out.
The action was super tight and difficult to open but works smooth now and was much better after 8-10 rounds through it.
Time will tell how durable it is.
But at the price they sell for , a guy could buy three for what a comparable o/u mostly goes for.
I would think the 28ga would be lacking for long shots that are common with doves.
But, for rabbits, grouse, it is perfect. Pheasant at 35yrds or less I will have to try yet to know. Probably a good bet though.

Anyone have recommendations on sub-$1000 over/unders in 12/20ga? Looking for something for my fiance to take to South Dakota this fall for pheasants and sharptails. She's 5'6", not sure if she'll fot better in a reduced LOP or youth model instead of a full size.

The list of contenders I've compiled in no particular order so far looks like this:

CZ Redhead Premier
CZ Drake
ATI Cavalry SX
Weatherby Orion
TriStar Hunter
TriStar TT-15
Stevens 555

I'm currently looking for a nice shotgun for each of my 3 daughters and have been looking at this Sauer and most of the guns on your list. It's not been easy. What I've learned so far is to set your price point, then pick the guns that fit that price and let your gal pick what fits HER. If you can't find anything in that price, then up the ante. I wanted something my daughters would be happy shooting with, something they will be proud of, something that will be with them long after I pass away. And hopefully be remembered every time they shoot it, and a legacy to pass on to their children. So price is important, but so are other considerations. So far I've found something for one daughter (a leftie) and still working on the other two. I'd love to hear how that Armetis is finally working out for you two. Browning and Beretta make O/Us that are built for ladies too and their prices aren't that bad if you take your time looking.

CZ Redhead Premier
CZ Drake
ATI Cavalry SX
Weatherby Orion
TriStar Hunter
TriStar TT-15
Stevens 555

I too have been looking for a shotgun for each of my daughters. It's not been an easy task, one down and two to go. Girls are built different than guys so let HER do the choosing. I too have been looking at the Artemis, along with most of what you have on your list. What I've found out so far is to not choose the gun, but to set your price point, look at the guns that meets that price, then have here choose from there. If nothing works for her, up the ante. She isn't going to shoot what she doesn't like so zip it and sign the check (a lifelong shooting buddy is priceless). I'd be very interested to hear what you finally setteled on and how she likes it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back