100 Years of the 30-06

BigHornRam

This year is the 100 year anniversery of the greatest cartridge, the 30-06. It has no doubt been responsible for more game harvested in those 100 years than all others combined.

Please take a minute to share your comments on this superb round. Thanks!

It was my first rifle, a smith & wesson, I thought it was great. Have since became a culpable convert (sucker) of the gun rags.

You'd think it was the killing machine of the century. but a popular hunting magazine did a survey a few years back. Based on the # of rounds sold each season, the ol '06 came in second! 1st place.....30/30, buy a long stretch.

A great caliber......still one of the best choice's available today for north america big game. :D

30-06 is tough to beat! After deviating to magnums and ultra mags I'm back to the versatile old chambering. For me it's more shootable!

Here are mine.

On the left is new-school Rem 700 Ti 30-06. Talley base/rings, Burris 1.75-5x20. Load development still in process, but so far it looks promising. Leaning towards the 150 grn Partition Gold currently. Hopefully it will be going on a hi-country pack hunt this year.

On the right is the most used firearm I own. Remington 721 30-06. Leupold base/rings, Burris fixed 4x scope. Purchased new by my grandfather in Nampa, ID. I'm the 3rd generation to use it on elk, deer, lopes and bear. Pet load is a warm load of imr4350, 180 hornady btsp. Barrel is starting to go, getting dark in the throat area, but still shoots at about 1.5 moa.
100_6343.jpg

I've got a 721 06 also. The only use its seen it 20 years is when I've lent it out. That reminds me, I should get that rifle back. I bought it off my dad when i was 12. What a heavy sucker. Maybe thats because I was only 12.

I read the article several years ago that the 30-30 outsold the 06 in ammo but I bet if you canvassed all of the animals that have died west of the missisippi in the last 50 years, they would disagree. i like my 338 and 280 Rem but I'm sure the ole 06 would have killed most everything i've ever had my crosshairs on.

I have owned several 30-06 rifles and probably should have kept some I parted with. Out of the ones I still have I rarely use them anymore. After toting a 338 ultra last year elk hunting I often think of the much lighter 700 Rem 30-06 w/ fajen factory stock in my safe. It definately has the horsepower for anything on this continent and has proved it several times. I for sure could have took the 5x6 I killed last year with it and woulnt have had to carry the 338 ultra.

This thread didn't take off like Cali's "30-06 Sucks" thread, but it sure has some legs! My first rifle was a Ruger left hand 30-06. Owned it for about 3 years before it was stolen. Ended up replacing it with another Ruger 30-06.

Owned it for about 3 years before it was stolen
lost one like that myself....sucks dont it!....mine was a cheapo mauser style interarms model.

Would have really sucked for the guy that stole it, if I would have found him. With my 30-06's I've shot deer, elk, moose, sheep, goat, caribou, and antelope.....a very good all around cartridge. Would not have been too hard to add thief to the list.

I've always had at least one .30-06, and usually more than one. I have two now. My first centerfire rifle was a 1917 Enfield. The first rifle I owned that was able to shoot factory ammo under an inch was a Smith & Wesson 1500 (aka Howa) Deluxe. It liked 150 gr Remington Corelokts.

Back