Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Base camp cook stoves?

1_pointer

I will be getting a more elaborate/comfortable base camp (think wall tent) in the very near future. Additionally, we are a couple of weeks out from demo starting on our kitchen remodel. So, I am interested in getting a base camp cook stove. I'm just torn between something like a stand based stove like what camp chef offers or a two burner flat folding Coleman style stove. One thing I like about the Camp Chef style is not needing to set it on a table. The downside I see with that size is that it is bigger and doesn't allow for a hot meal on the tailgate.

Which do you guys prefer for a basecamp? Thanks in advance.

That Coleman design has got to be about the most proven, indestructible piece of camping equipment available. I wouldn't doubt I've had close to a 1000 meals in my life cooked on one, and can't remember ever having one not work. The one I have now I was gifted 15 years ago in high school, still works like a champ.

I'm boring that way though, I stick with what works. I've used the same Stanley thermos for 15 years and the same $20 Coleman cooler.

A table like this looks like it would clean up a wall tent nicely- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY5IEX...colid=MN4SPZQPJQ87&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

That Coleman design has got to be about the most proven, indestructible piece of camping equipment available. I wouldn't doubt I've had close to a 1000 meals in my life cooked on one, and can't remember ever having one not work. The one I have now I was gifted 15 years ago in high school, still works like a champ.

I'm boring that way though, I stick with what works. I've used the same Stanley thermos for 15 years and the same $20 Coleman cooler.

A table like this looks like it would clean up a wall tent nicely- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY5IEX...colid=MN4SPZQPJQ87&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Ditto to what Randy said. I have the same green Coleman propane stove for nearly 20 years and it looks and operates like new. The only thing I've done was buy a bulk tank adapter because those little bottles suck.

I like the camp chef system though because you can get an oven setup which, if I were glamping, would be nice.

That table looks a bit fancy but if you're in a spot for awhile having things put away would be handy so you're not digging through totes or worse having a little chipmunk rate a loaf of bread that was left on the table.

Last edited:
My folks gave me their once-used Camp Chef about 8 years ago to replace my 40-year-old green Coleman stove. The Coleman still goes in my truck for every trip and the Camp Chef hasn't left the garage yet, it is a nice stove though...someday I'll use it

Last edited:
I’ve put my old Coleman through hell and it still works great. But I will say that I got a Camp Chef this last year to use in a wall tent and loved it. It took up very little space in the tent and didn’t use any table space. It’ll be replacing the old Coleman on a lot of trips.

2 burner Camp Chef put a griddle on one burner and what ever on the second.

This setup FTW! I love my little griddle that also flips over to a grill pan. Yes, the camp chef is larger than the Coleman but I love mine and it is always in camp.

I just won the camp chef in a raffle, yet to try it but looks and seems nice. It has adjustable legs and came with a griddle, grill attachment and carrying cases for all. Hope to use it soon.

We started using the Camp Chef (and the griddle) a couple of years ago and it is a definite upgrade in power. As for the tailgate issue, I keep a little folding (in a case about the size of a pop can) butane stove in the truck for that / emergency use..... like $10 off amazon

I will be getting a more elaborate/comfortable base camp (think wall tent) in the very near future.

Just bought a wall tent from Chris at Davis tent (based on the many recommendations on HT). He was super great to work with - answered a ton of questions I had with practical advice and a lot of patience. Definitely give Chris a call, I think Feb is their down season so pricing is good.

Just bought a wall tent from Chris at Davis tent (based on the many recommendations on HT). He was super great to work with - answered a ton of questions I had with practical advice and a lot of patience. Definitely give Chris a call, I think Feb is their down season so pricing is good.
I've been on the phone with them and use a cot from them every night. If/when I buy a wall tent, it will be from them.

FWIW, this is the type of consensus that I've become used too... ;)

We prefer our Camp Chef stove for our wall tent camps, or camps with the truck, but will resort to our Coleman stove when driving the car because of limited space.

A couple things to think about as I use them both is the amount of people you are cooking for. When we do a 4+ person trip the camp chef is awesome more burner and bigger pot space for cooking large amounts of food. For a couple people cant go wrong with the old Coleman

I use wall tents pretty infrequently, basically once a year with my dad/family in MT for a few days, so take this FWIW. The only time I've used the stand alone style is on a work trip where I was backpacking and others were horsepacking. I like the flexibility of the table top set-up overall, because if room gets snug with a bigger crew you can move it around and use the table for something else. No perfect way, but as you note it's handy for the tailgate too.

I've used the wall tent stove for cooking. I've not found a need for additional cook items. I suppose it would be a convenient use to have a stand alone cook top though haven't found the need. I did pick up a collapsible Coleman oven that sits atop the wall tent stove... for the Griz game jalapeno poppers, etc - usually on opening weekend via AM radio... wonder if saying AM radio is a known use for the 18ish - people...

I've got both and we use the camp chef quite a bit more. If you want to tailgate with it just use one of their carry case/bags to keep it dust free and organized then just install the legs if you don't want to set it on the tailgate. We just throw a tank in the back of the truck and tie it down. Boom! instant cooking power off the tailgate or we setup the legs and cook from wherever.

Another vote for both. For less people the Coleman works great. For larger groups, the Camp Chief with the full griddle cover is the bomb for cooking breakfast!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back