PEAX Equipment

Reloading/Shooting/Firearm Projects - Let's Hear About 'Em!

Got a couple minor projects. Going to restock my FN Mauser in 35 Brown/Whelen. I've gone round and round on what stock to put on it. Was going to get a Richards Microfit and play around, but by the time I get it checkered, finished etc I'd be into it $400+. I want wood, but don't really want to spend a ton on it. Its a field rifle but doesn't deserve a plastic stock either... Take-off or replacement stocks for Mausers are hard to find that aren't ugly laminated or plastic garbage

After some brainstorming, and comparing to other actions, I decided I can easily bubba' it into a M70 featherweight stock , with minimal fill/fitting around around the action/exterior of the stock. The actions are very similar in length and shape. The barrel channel will clean up perfectly, and the bottom metal will clean up as well. A little fitting on the action and reinforcement of recoil lug and I'll be in business. It won't be a super clean job, but I'm confidant it will look more than acceptable for a $250 rifle. haha. Can't wait to get her back in action. Its a fun rifle to shoot/load. Along with that I am going to fireform a bunch of new brass. One thing I can't seem to find is a dovetail blank for the rear sight. Probably just going to have to make one.

The other is stirpping a 375H&H M700 and getting it cerakoted. It sports a Brown stock with a matt blue action and a 20 inch SS barrel. Going to coat it all matt black, I think.

Got a couple minor projects. Going to restock my FN Mauser in 35 Brown/Whelen. I've gone round and round on what stock to put on it. Was going to get a Richards Microfit and play around, but by the time I get it checkered, finished etc I'd be into it $400+. I want wood, but don't really want to spend a ton on it. Its a field rifle but doesn't deserve a plastic stock either... Take-off or replacement stocks for Mausers are hard to find that aren't ugly laminated or plastic garbage

After some brainstorming, and comparing to other actions, I decided I can easily bubba' it into a M70 featherweight stock , with minimal fill/fitting around around the action/exterior of the stock. The actions are very similar in length and shape. The barrel channel will clean up perfectly, and the bottom metal will clean up as well. A little fitting on the action and reinforcement of recoil lug and I'll be in business. It won't be a super clean job, but I'm confidant it will look more than acceptable for a $250 rifle. haha. Can't wait to get her back in action. Its a fun rifle to shoot/load. Along with that I am going to fireform a bunch of new brass. One thing I can't seem to find is a dovetail blank for the rear sight. Probably just going to have to make one.

The other is stirpping a 375H&H M700 and getting it cerakoted. It sports a Brown stock with a matt blue action and a 20 inch SS barrel. Going to coat it all matt black, I think.

That stock fitting sounds like it'll be a fun project. I'd like to get myself into something like that someday.

Four22,
I don't know if you will run into issues switching from 8x57 to 280 AI.
The 280 may be too long for your Mauser action.
A better choice may be the 284 Win, or the improved version the 284 Shehane.

284 fits perfect in the Mauser action. Lets the bullet be loaded further out of the powder charge.
A favorite of Melvin Forbes.

If it’s a military Mauser he’ll have to do a little work to get an ‘06 length cartridge in there. Some folks manage to get decent feeding with cases like AI’s and .284Wins, but often the lack of body taper causes them to jam up, and the feed lips and follower need some work as well. A .284 Shehane would sure come close to a .280AI and fit better.

Picked up a new build a few weeks ago, going to be doing load workup soon.
7mm Rem Mag I'm starting with 180gr Berger Vlds and H1000
If H1000 doesn't do what I want I have some Retumbo & H4831SC to try

Rifle is:
1980 Model Trued Rem 700 Action
Brux #6 fluted, finished at 26"
PTG Recoil Lug
Trigger Tech Standard Trigger
PTG Aluminum Speedlock Firing Pin
McMillan Game Warden Stock
Leupold VX5-HD 3-15 44mm Windplex
IMG_3685.jpg

Picked up a new build a few weeks ago, going to be doing load workup soon.
7mm Rem Mag I'm starting with 180gr Berger Vlds and H1000
If H1000 doesn't do what I want I have some Retumbo & H4831SC to try

Rifle is:
1980 Model Trued Rem 700 Action
Brux #6 fluted, finished at 26"
PTG Recoil Lug
Trigger Tech Standard Trigger
PTG Aluminum Speedlock Firing Pin
McMillan Game Warden Stock
Leupold VX5-HD 3-15 44mm Windplex
View attachment 93811

Nice. Be really nice in .300RUM.:) mtmuley

I've been messing with my new comp rifle, 25 Creedmoor. I'm using the new 131 Ace from Blackjack Bullets and Reloder 16, now if only I was as capable as the rifle ......
20190123_223336-01.jpg
Then I added a few new targets to the range. I'm not advocating shooting fish with your rifle at the local stream, just testing the old saying, "easy as shooting fish in a barrel." BTW, shooting a fish in a barrel from four scattered barrels at the firing-line isn't easy for me. Plus, my son has an almost irrational fear of wasps, so that target is for him.
20181227_151727.jpg
20181227_151551.jpg

Getting close. Its been a fun project with a number of setbacks. The trigger guard was broken and I needed to replace it... The first one I ordered was "epoxy coated." Turns out it was kylon.. it went back. The second one was bent when it arrived... waiting on the yet another one to arrive.

I searched high and low for a winchester featherweight stock, and gave up after a month. The only ones I could find where $250 or more. Broke down and bought a maple stock made by Boyds. Got it in, and the checkering was cocked to one side about 1/4 of inch... sent it back. In the mean time I found a Winny stock that had been refinished and jumped on it. Lots of work left, including recutting the checkering, finish and bedding, along with fitting the bottom metal, but its coming along. Gives me something to do in the evenings. Can't wait to punch a hole in a bear with this guy. All up it will weigh about 7lbs... shooting 250grs of love at about 2700fps. I think a new recoil pad and a cross bolt are in my future. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I decided to put together another rifle this week. A call to McMillan to ask about a Game Scout turned into me ordering a McMillan A3 EDGE, ordered up a Bartlein 3b .264 barrel, a 700 action with a magnum bolt face, and a Jewell trigger. The plan is to order up a DBM and a couple other small pieces this week and get it all sent off to the gunsmith next week.

I’ve got two rifles that are 7mm-300 Weatherby (don’t ask me why...it’s a long story).
I have been struggling a little bit to make the brass and that has hampered the pace of my reloading. But my goal is to get a heavy round for it. I have shot it with 120ttsx and 140 accubonds.
I have a box of 168 Bergers I want to load and some old 175 hornady.
If I can get the brass forming down a little better I will be trying some hammers too.

But then turkey season starts in two weeks so it might all get put off a little bit longer.

This winter I glass bed the action of my Tikka T3 Forest. Both fun and slightly pucker inducing. Thanks to GunBlue490 for the walk-through.
Then I turned to trying to find the perfect handload for elk, currently 150gr Nosler E-tip, 45.5gr of H380, Federal 210 primer. Still want to try Big Game, but I think I am close.

This is an Essex 12g SXS hammer gun that my great great grandfather bought new at Belknap Hardware store in Louisville, KY in 1897. It's just an old hardware store gun, but has a lot of sentimental value and stories through the years. When I was very young, I spent mornings walking behind my dad through the woods with him squirrel hunting with it. My dad passed it down to my son last year and we had it gone over, brought back on face, and made functional again. Shoots 2.5" low velocity shells. The three generations of us went upland bird hunting this past fall and it was pretty special seeing my son shoot quail with it, knowing he was the 7th generation to do so. Anyway, the barrel was in bad shape and I had a local guy rust blue it for me and just got it back today. The stock could use refinishing, but I like the wear from the all those hands.

essex4.jpg

that is a really nice, low-hammer gun. Looks like a lot of fun. Do you reload for it? Use black?

Enjoy it.

Just noticed, it is stamped twist finish. Does that indicate that it originally had faux twist patterns on the barrel or was/is it a true twist barrel set?

Well, Ben, Let's hear about it! Maybe you could share some of that excitement.

I lost a big or two on guns that I couldn't figure out what I would do with them had I won them. Some luck there, but apparently I have a little pocket change burning a hole in my pocket.

I found a left handed Ruger M77 Mark II in 30-06 and sent it to this guy: http://www.rjrenner.com/pre-war-77.html

Rifle will have the stock whittled down to a pre-war Mauser model B slim lines with a high comb, Oberndorf side panels, a mild Schnable forend, steel grip cap, brown decellerator pad installed to factory LOP, barrel sling band, 22 LPI checkering, front sight installed and a NECG receiver mounted peep sight as well as the Schmalts provided VX3i 3.5x10x40 CDS scope.

I really hope it shoots! :D

That will be nice, but it has that dang dog-leg thing hang off the side :) :)

It's a shame that gunmakers don't even try to put a little artistic style into their guns these days. It wouldn't cost much to make a rifle that actually has attractive lines.

Maybe I'm being a bit of a humbug.

I can live with the modernity of the rifle, especially since the bolt is on the correct side.

There aren't a lot of folks willing to pay what it costs for stocks to be made like this, especially with the popularity of plastic stocks. The stock-maker's art is a fantastic thing, and a person who can turn out a piece of walnut as finely-crafted as the past stockmakers in England and Europe are rare breeds. When I get ready to retire, I may just end up going to stockmaking school.

Back