Venison Green chili stew

TwistedSage

Great for this cold weather. This is the same recipe we use for beef stew meat but this year I was blessed with a most excellent muley.

2 lbs meat
1 onion
Few potatoes
1 10oz can diced tomatoes, can go fire roasted if you'd like
As much green chilie as you like we use a ziploc sandwich bag full
Tsp garlic salt
Tsp cumin
Cover in beef broth
Salt n black pepper to taste
Throw it all in a crockpot for around 4 hrs.

My favorite part of winter:
attachment.php

Last edited:
Looks like a winner to me. I'm going to try it in the next couple of weeks- thanks for posting it. Looks delicious!

Made this Green Chile Stew with deer and bear sausage last night and it was EXCELLENT! Thanks for posting the recipe, TwistedSage!

Looks really good! - Saved your recipe. I like to make a few zip lock bags, freeze and take to hunt camp. I'll test this out at home.

Thanks for sharing.

I made this tonight and it is awesome. BUT I want to add the following changes: 2-3tsp of cumin, 2x 10oz cans of diced tomatoes, 4 hours on low and 1 hour on high, and top with pepper jack cheese and sour cream.

I used antelope HQ and it worked phenomenal.

Last edited:
Excellent guys! It's a very adaptable recipe. I agree with the extra cumin and I do add cheese when I serve. I also rip up peices of toasted tortilla and use them like a scoops to eat the stew. I smoke dry my own peppers but smoked paprika is good in it as well

Hard to get my head around a chili recipe with anything other than pork in it but this looks worthy of a try. Fortunately we had a truck load of Hatch chilis arrive in Charlotte this fall and my daughter was able to stock up on them so we're golden until next fall.
Should do well with some corn fed whitetail.

Very similar to mine.
I use elk,venison, pork, chicken or Mtn lion.
Beef stock with elk or venison. Chicken stock with pork or chicken. Lion is just like pork.
& LOTS of green chile......

Sounds very similar to my version except that I put pinto beans in my recipe. I make chili with elk, antelope, venison or pork and it is delicious every time.

Thanks for the recipe. I tend to favor pork with the green chile, and beef with the red chile. I learned that after all my time I spent in Chama, NM. Seems they do things a little different up there, but they all seem to agree that it's beef for red chile and pork for green.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back