Caribou Gear Tarp

Canned Venison

FreezerHunter

I fired up the pressure canner and put up 6 quarts of canned venison last night. Now what do I do with it? I’m envisioning it as a time saver for beef stew or open faced “roast beef” sandwiches with mashed potatoes and gravy. Other recipes I should try?

My mom still cans some venison every year. She likes it in stews I think it's great in stroganoff.

My favorite way to use canned meat is cream of mushroom soup, packet of gravy. Stir in meat. Pour over noodles like stroganoff. I have a better venison stroganoff recipe that is better but the canned meat version is quicker. Also like it in spaghetti and enchiladas.

We use it a lot to make enchiladas, carnitas or just nachos. It's also really good added to a lot of different soups.

I decided to try browning some this fall prior to canning and I like it better than my old cold pack method. It is a bit more work but I think I will be doing more of that in the future.

You guys all have great ideas, but the real best way to eat it is pouring the entire jar into your mouth while flying down the highway in the dark running late to your turkey spot and it’s the first thing you see in the cupboard on your way out the door. Seems like most mine face that fate.

You guys all have great ideas, but the real best way to eat it is pouring the entire jar into your mouth while flying down the highway in the dark running late to your turkey spot and it’s the first thing you see in the cupboard on your way out the door. Seems like most mine face that fate.
I bet that’s followed with wishing you’d put some paper towels in your back pocket as a turkey is gobbling 150 yards out over the knob.

I like it all the ways, but my favorite is:
Get a Tbsp of your preferred cooking oil very hot, crumble a qt jar of canned meat into it, S/P and a little Cajun seasoning to taste. Put a slight crisp on it. Serve over a hot buttered sweet potato.

I shot a large Whitetail doe a couple weeks ago. My single parent-working two jobs- niece wanted to try canning some venison. My wife and I were completely out of canned venison so we split it. We canned the entire deer except for the back straps and tenderloins. Great in soup and stews !!!

We use it for tacos fairly often. Just add a packet of the taco seasoning and a little water or juice from the jar to about a lb of it (little less than a packet for a pint jar) and make soft shell tacos with rice / beans, lettuce olives, whatever, etc....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back