Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Arizona Elk + Wolves

npaden

One of the highlights of my recent Arizona elk hunt was watching 6 mexican gray wolves circling a big group of elk the day before the opener while we were scouting.

We were watching several groups of elk scattered over about 400 - 800 yards when they started barking and herding up. We were surprised they were that concerned about us as we were about 600 yards away and they hadn't seemed to mind us for the previous 10 or 15 minutes we had been watching them. They all ended up gathering up into a large circle with their butts facing in and their heads pointed out. There were some coyotes really yapping up a storm around this same time. A couple minutes later and we saw the first 2 wolves come into view, then 2 more, then 2 more for a total of 6 wolves. They circled around for 10 or 15 minutes and then when no elk bolted out of the group I guess they decided it wasn't worth their time and they just wandered off.

Got a video clip with 4 of the wolves in it. By the time I thought of videoing it 2 had already gone into the trees on the left. I was hand holding my phone up to my spotting scope so pardon the shake.

Here is a link to the clip - https://vimeo.com/307140710

Here's a picture with a couple of the wolves in it.

2 wolves by naathan2, on Flickr

Another picture with the best bull in the herd at the time.

20181129_071400 by naathan2, on Flickr

Had a great time on the hunt. Lots of elk in Arizona! Will post more on the hunt later.

Thought I would share. Nathan

My brother and I heard some wolves a couple of years ago when bow hunting in unit 1. It was just before sunrise and we were following some bugling bulls and after the wolves made themselves heard the bulls completely stopped bugling. It was kind of eirie sounding.

I forgot to mention that part. After the wolves seemed to give up on the idea that they were going to get some elk for breakfast they did some pretty impressive howling. We were camped less than a mile from where I took these pictures and on 2 other nights we heard them howling pretty good.

Very cool! We heard them in NM a few years ago but I never was able to get a glimpse of any.

Very cool interactions you go to experience. Thanks for sharing. One reason I've never really been a big wolf hater is because every time I hear them howling, I know I am in a place that I love. Same thing with the call of the loon. Good stuff

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back