Thread: mount

Default mount

Came home the other day and found one of my deer mounts on the floor cracked in two pieces. This particular mount was just the skull plate not a full euro mount.

Any recommendations on how to fix it without taking it to the taxidermist? Thanks

Probably could do it the same way folks do bringing split caribou or moose back from Alaska. My husband bolted both halves of his moose to the “plaque” he built and used some metal strapping to reinforce it. Used bondo to support the inside and sculpt the overall shape. Then basically upholstered the surface with thin foam to cover the bolt heads, then in leather. I thought it turned out great. Could probably do something similar to your deer, and it would be simpler since you don’t have 30 lbs trying to torque each half. A few screws, maybe some bondo and then either paint the skull to hide the patchwork or cover it.

Name:  4CB5F83A-A0E3-46D4-B536-3CB71FEDEFA7.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  50.7 KB

I will give a try just how you suggested. Thanks for the tip.

Bolted the two sides to the plaque. Used metal straps to reinforce and used small pieces od wood to fill the inside. Mount is already back on the wall. Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Glad you got it put back together.