Michigan hunting in major decline — why that matters

I can't remember where I saw it. But WI, MI, and, PA all had license sales decrease but CO, WY, and, MT are not changing. For those of us east of the Mississippi, we are likely going to see decreases in conservation dollars from license sales very soon.

It sure would be nice if we could pass something to allow us Michiganders to shoot doves. I take my kids to Indiana every year to hunt them in early September. My daughter has no intent on ever shooting anything but paper, but she has a blast going dove hunting. My son can't wait until he's old enough to join in. It's a great opportunity to introduce kids to hunting when the weather isn't miserable and there's enough social interaction before/during/after the hunt to make the kids feel engaged. Getting up at 4:00 am to paddle into a swamp to set duck decoys or sitting still/quiet waiting for deer aren't the most kid friendly situations.

Everything competes for time these days, and i have a feeling a lot of parents are just too lazy to get their kids outdoors. While a ton of parents are doing their part to keep kids engaged in the outdoors, some are just happy to let the kids "plug in" and that doesn't bode well for our future.

I think that it is harder to get really outdoors in some parts of Michigan which I think is playing into it. I think that we need to do more to get new adult hunters. Possibly leveraging the knowing where your food comes from part of it. Though I do think that it is tricky for people to get started in hunting. Taking hunter safety, understanding what to do, finding a mentor makes the entry bar fairly high. Not being familiar with processing / field dressing game can be daunting as well.

I did have the pleasure of introducing hunting to a new person this year. I was able to get them out duck hunting and they seemed to have enjoyed it. Much of the small game hunting is a good introduction.

But I have been advocating to all my friends that we need to have a dove season in Michigan. Along with sandhill crane.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back