Flying Delta with fishing poles question...

netman

My wife and I are about to fly from St Louis to International Fall on Delta. Once in IF we are driving across the border a ways and then taking a float plane.
My rod case is 79” and can be trimmed down some. Three rods are two piece and one my Muskie pole is 72”.
I called Delta customer service and asked about the rod case dimensions and their regulations. I’m fairly sure the representative was not clear on my question. I told her that my rod case was 74” (trimmed length) and 2.5” wide. She said I have 115 linear inches available. Beyond that it’s a no go. Under 115” it was $200.00 each way.
So I told her I was going to check a standard luggage bag in and she said the first checked bag was $25.00. And if I bring my rod tube it was $200.00 each way?? She said correct
For those with flying with fish gear experience does this sound right?
Thoughts or suggestions?
I tried to call the lodge to see if they had any suggestions but got the answering machine.
I have flown with fishing gear in the past to south Texas but that was on Southwest and I don’t remember these cost.
Thanks

Unfortunately, that may be correct. I always use travel poles that are cased in something under 45 linear inches to I can carry them onto the plane. On Delta, it's an extra $200 each way to check in a snowboard, for example. That much I know as a fact. If you are able to, I would suggest shipping your poles. SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper and just as likely to arrive at your destination.

Thanks Colokid! I was in shock when I posted my dilemma. Time is not on my side as far as shipping. Trip is upon me.
I’ve gone through the stages and now at ‘acceptance ‘.

Sounds like you are about to embark on a fantastic fishing trip!! I'd say it's most important to bring the poles you love....regardless of cost!! Have a great time and good luck!!! Hope you land a big ole' muskie!!

Tight lines!!

Can't help you specifically w/ Delta, but we recently flew with United from O'Hare - Vancouver and then returned from Anchorage to O'Hare on the same airline. On the way out I checked one piece of luggage, and then carried on a carry-on bag, a back-pack ("personal item"), and two travel rod cases duct-taped together (longest case was about 60"). I was charged $25 for the checked bag, but that was it- no additional fees for the rods.

We had our two kids with us and smiled at everybody like we'd been there before and nobody gave us a second look. My wife had been pushing me to "ask somebody if it's okay" but I went with more of a "wait until somebody stops me or says something" approach, and we made it through without incident. Only major issue for me was I built a beauty of a 10'6" 9 wt. st croix LU years ago that went to AK as a 3-piece, but came back as a 5-piece, whoops.

I would recommend picking through the TSA stuff a bit- it seems "small hooks" are cleared for carry-ons, but larger hooks/lures might raise some eyebrows going through their x-ray belts and you'd want them in your checked bag(s). When we were flying back out of Anchorage, the carry-on belt stopped just as my rod case was entering it. I freaked a little bit, but when the TSA lady told us to go to a different line "with all your stuff" I realized it wasn't us. Turns out the guy ahead of me had a loaded Glock 9 mm in his carry-on. Not a good day for that dude, I overheard one of the say "the fines for that stunt start at $10k..."

Best of luck on your adventure!

Delta changed their baggage fee's and conditions since I last used them 18 months ago, travelling to the US from the UK the first bag was free, not now, it's fee's for everything.
I get over the rods issue by have a multi sectioned rod.
Sadly in your case I think she is right.
Probably cheaper to buy a rod there and ditch it after you have had your fun!
Cheers
Richard

I flew Delta last week with my flyrod in a case attached to my carry-on backpack without any problems.

Well as it turns out we had a fishing lady from Minnesota check our bags and Airliner rod case. $35.00 was all it cost. Our group of six were pleasantly shocked. Thanks Delta!
So as I boarded the plane a stewardess asked me where we were headed. I told her Alexander’s on Rowan. She said she had never been there but had fished and hunted all over the world. We chatted a few more times in flight. After landing in International Falls she pulled me off to the side and in ten seconds flipped through about 100 photographs of animals she had bagged. She told me that PETA has listed her as one of the most hated hunters. She said google “ Michelle Polar Bear”.
Turns out our stewardess is a famous hunter. She was a very nice polite stewardess and Delta has a great employee.

Back