PEAX Equipment

Hunt timing

NDMuley

What is everyone's opinion on hunting the last week/weekend of the Antelope season. Trying to plan my dates. Thanks for your feedback.

I've hunted the second to last week before and found that the antelope were more skittish than earlier in the season. I didn't see a lot of hunters but I would guess that you would see more hunters that have unfilled tags the last week/weekend as it is the last hurrah.

I hunted the last weekend of the season in MT and it was definitely a lot harder. No only were they really skittish but they were also in huge groups which made stalking very difficult. Instead of the bands of 5-10 that I had seen earlier in the season they were in groups of 50+ and that is just a ton of eyes to deal with. This was in November, I only saw one buck that had shed and it was only on one side.

All my goats are usually down in the first two weeks. They are definitely more difficult the later in the season.

When I go on my next 'Lope hunt I won't do at the end of the season again. Yeah, I avoided the other hunters, but the goats were spooky as hell. Just driving along a road sent most on the move, even from long distance.

Next trip I'll spend 1/2 my allotted hunt time B4 the opening day to find a) where 'my' 'lope is and then watch him, b) where the traffic is & watch where he goes, c) get set up early and cross my fingers ........

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
runoutdoors
Back