Kentucky Elk Hunting

TheHunterBiologist

Is there anyone on here who has gotten a cow or bull tag and hunted in eastern Kentucky? I'm moving out there to be one of Kentucky Fish and Wildlife's elk biologists and I am excited to hear eastern elk hunting stories and to learn what hunters perspectives are on the current management. Reply in a private message if you want.

Good luck. I don't think Kentucky's a bad place to live overall, we visit fairly frequently. The eastern part (where the elk are), while not exactly thriving economically, has some beautiful countryside and acreage is still somewhat affordable if you're thinking of settling down there.

As far as the elk hunting, as I'm sure you know, draw odds are something like 0.13% for a NR bull tag and 0.7% for a NR cow tag, resident odds aren't a whole lot better. I usually send my $20 and consider it a donation, no plans of ever drawing.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I spent turkey camp in colorado a couple years ago with a guy who if remember correctly was one of Kentucky's fish and game directors during the elk introduction, the stories he told about how it all came to be were really cool, gave me a new appreciation for how it all went down

I hunted cow elk with my bow there in 2016. Didn't punch my tag. Did not draw a LEA and hunted on one of the Voucher properties. Be happy to answer questions or share some of my experience from that.

Give me a call I'll tell you about my ky rifle bull tag. Imo ky elk hunting is over rated. Finally got drawn last year and it left me very disappointed.

Thanks everyone! We will be in southeast KY. I'll keep you posted and I'm interested in what you like and what you want to see improved.

Last edited:
Give me a call I'll tell you about my ky rifle bull tag. Imo ky elk hunting is over rated. Finally got drawn last year and it left me very disappointed.

Your private message box is full. Feel free to send me a message with your number. I'm interested in your concerns.

I had an archery cow tag last year.
The Kentucky diy public land hunt was not as good of an experience compared to western diy hunts I’ve had the opportunity to go on.
Saw a few elk on public land but not many.
Not impressed with what I observed.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fred Powell Sr
Back