Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Making conversation before draw results --- opening week or last week?

bigdonniebrasco

Each year that I have hunted pronghorn in WY, I have hunted the last week of the season.

Just curious as to what everyone's opinion is regarding the "best" plan for hunting pronghorn on public in WY.

I'd love to hear your ideas and your reasons behind the plan you prefer.

I am leaning toward getting out there early this year and scouting for a day before the opener, and hopefully I will have a buck in mind before the season begins.

Thanks

Don

Son and I hunted late last season due to his college fall break. Few other hunters and still plenty of bucks left. They were a bit skittish.

for what it's worth...

I lived in Wyoming for several years and went on more Antelope hunts than I care to admit. In my experience, opening weekend is crazy. People are all over the place and the animals are being pushed from almost all directions. I have had better experiences waiting a week or two until thing calm down again before heading out. I never had a hard time finding antelope after opening weekend.

We go when we have time, and that's not opening week by design. Personally I don't prefer last week either, lots of last minute locals out filling tags. I have been one of those last minute locals too, lol.
We usually try to make it a weekday hunting trip.

I've always planned my trips out for a week or two after the opener.

Taking my wife with me this year, I am trying to do my due diligence to make sure she has a fun trip.

If you have time to come up and archery hunt then do it, very little pressure and a great way to get to know the unit and scout for rifle season if you can't seal the deal.

I prefer to hunt during the week and hunt all day if I can. I found it less stressful to hike into areas midday while others are grabbing lunch or trying to escape the heat rather than fighting the movements of others during early or late hunts.

Don't be afraid to put a buck to bed, if he's too far out to go after at last light then just mark it down and figure out an approach early in the morning. From what I've witnessed, they don't move a whole bunch during dark. Doesn't mean they can't get spooked and bounce on out, but I wouldn't be afraid to let a hasty stalk go and watch him bed down and go in the next morning even on public lands.

I don't think there is a wrong or right answer, it'll just be what works best for you and your considerations. I understand that me being a local will most likely render my preferences null compared to yours. I don't think you'll be wrong hunting the opener or waiting, it'll just depend on weather and your schedule. Either way I hope you have fun and maybe you tag out early and get to take your wife on a fly fishing adventure or two on the mile or grey reef!

I went on my first antelope hunt last year with a buddy, we had 3 doe tags and 1 buck tag and went the week after opener, in the unit i we went to was more checker board and didnt see much for hunters. We filled all our tags in 4 days. So I suppose it depends on how pressured the unit is because though they were on edge, we still got within 150 yards of all 4. Thats all i have for experience though haha.

We never go the first or last week. Anywhere in the middle is good, it seems that there is not as many hunting then.

I've done both.
Opening day seemed to be the best option to kill a big antelope. Found them scouting and killed them opening day.

Later In The season was definitely less pressure.

Is there any danger that the bucks will start to drop their horn sheaths before the end of the season? I heard years ago that this process can start as early as mid Oct but I've never done any serious research on the subject.

Due to work schedules we are heading out after opening week. Last year I could only get off opening week it wasnt too bad though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skywagon
Back