Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

NM Unit 48

DLB

Hey folks, I just got word that I drew a rifle deer tag for unit 48. I am super pumped. This will be my first trip out west and I am trying to figure access. I have OnXmaps and I have the boundaries for public/private clearly, but I can't figure out what roads/trails are public vs private. From my reading, NM state trust land (which is almost all of what is public in this unit) can be accessed by any public road, even if it crosses private. But many of the roads don't appear to be named/numbered, so I am having trouble figuring what's what. Any suggestions on where to get info on a definitive list/map of public roads?

Also, I have seen a few comments scattered around online about roads in general being really bad in this unit. Any first hand experience on that would be super helpful. I have a lifted 4wd truck, but some comments suggest ATV/side by side only. Thanks a bunch!

My understand and experience is that if it is a county maintained road, you can use it to cross private in order to get to public. It also cannot be blocked if it is county maintained. So, you're on the right track looking for roads that are numbered/named.

I'm not familiar with Unit 48, so I can't offer any insight on roads or access.

From looking here:

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/hunting/maps/open-gate-program/

It appears there are a few access points in the western and northern parts of the unit.

Thanks NMGuy. That is helpful. I actually called the UUBar which borders this area and asked them about lodging on their property. (It turns out that is only open if you are hunting with them. Not surprised.) But the guy I spoke with was very helpful and told me of a couple of roads that are good access points.

DLB, how did your hunt go in NM Unit 48? I just drew that tag for early November 2023 and am excited to go try that unit out.
Good luck. He was like all the other newbies asking for unit info. They post a few times then gone like a fart in the wind. D89C6115-DBAB-4EA6-999B-FCB3EC9B4716.png

Back