Caribou Gear

Glock

I used to carry a Ruger 44 mag in the woods, switched to Glock 10mm after shooting my brothers several times. FWIW. Just fits me, I shoot it well and it holds more bullets.:hump:

I used to carry a Ruger 44 mag in the woods, switched to Glock 10mm after shooting my brothers several times. FWIW. Just fits me, I shoot it well and it holds more bullets.:hump:

Had to read that twice...scared me the first time.

MTmuley, you should pass on the Glock and get the cash. Then embrace your inner Magnum and get a .460 snub nose revolver. It would be just about as practical as getting a Hipoint.

I work with a guy that has a .500 Smith with I think a 2 and 1/2 inch barrel. Don't think he practices a lot. mtmuley

Why did you shoot your brothers? Were you pissed at them? That must make family gatherings kind of awkward :W:

Glocks are exceedingly easy to shoot. They are ugly but they just work. The failure rate on them is slim at best. That said, for a mountain carry gun I would be much more inclined to carry a revolver. Magazines do fall out. Malfunctions are rare, but they are more rare in a revolver.

The best gun to carry is the one you will carry. If it’s too big and too heavy and you leave it home, that doesn’t help much.

I don't frequently air out my profession online, but I'm a Deputy Chief in the Probation and Parole Division in Montana. I've worked in community corrections for about 16 years and carried a Glock 22 on my hip for most of that. I've also been a firearms instructor for several years. Never shot a bad guy but my experience with Glock has convinced me that they are a reliable piece of equipment. You draw it and it will fire; run through 16 rounds and slide locks back, you slam in another magazine and will keep running.

That said, I don't think Glocks are made with percission in mind, just reliability in pumping a lot of rounds into a threat that is about 10 feet away, which most gun fights actually happen at shorter distances than that. It is a mighty formidable tool in most rapidly evolving street scenarios, but if accuracy ad ergonomics are your thing, Glock is probably not the gun. That said, my off-duty concealed carry weapon is a Glock 43, that is mostly for reasons stated above. But my designated "home defense" weapon loaded in the closet is a .45 cal Springfield 1911.

When archery hunting I'm actually more of a pepper spray guy, but when I do carry a sidearm it's the .45.

I work with a guy that has a .500 Smith with I think a 2 and 1/2 inch barrel. Don't think he practices a lot. mtmuley

How many times has he broken his wrist? I threw that .460 snub nose as a joke, didn’t think anyone would make such a thing, let alone a .500. Wozers

My brothers are fine. Big dudes. Unphased. Used the Ruger to no effect. I guess the best caliber for brothers in law is the one they've personally witnessed you shoot and load for. Haha

Honestly, from all I have seen I would take a brand new HiPoint over a brand new Kimber if I knew I was heading into a gun fight.

I have never owned a Glock 20. But I have owned 3 Glock 19's in 9mm. The first 2 I put around 9-10,000 rounds through and never have had a serious issue or one that would make me think they were not reliable. I have always wanted a 10mm and may end up with one someday.

I have never owned a Glock 20. But I have owned 3 Glock 19's in 9mm. The first 2 I put around 9-10,000 rounds through and never have had a serious issue or one that would make me think they were not reliable. I have always wanted a 10mm and may end up with one someday.

I hear Muley may have one....and a subaru to trade

I have several glocks and have had good luck with them. I have a G20 and really like it. It is a fairly big and blocky handgun, but fits my hands well. I don’t have a lot of rounds through it but it has been reliable. Mine is the non ported version, which I think defeats the purpose of a 10mm. I train most with a semi auto so it just suits me better than my 44. I just dont think I could hit well with a double action revolver in a stressful situation. I do think I am sacrificing stopping power for familiarity though. Some dont recommend hard cast bullets in Original Glock barrels and go to rifled aftermarket barrels. I have also heard that reloads in a original glock barrel is not recommended. I dont have experience with the reloads or cast bullets, so can’t give my opinion from personal experience. I hear Underwood made some TMJ loads that some recommend for heavy woods loads to use with original barrels.

Dont care for Glock, no particular reason. Hear good things. I just think they are unattractive and boring. I do have 2 10mm and there is no better auto cartridge. PERIOD. I use it a s my backup gun when hunting if needed ( Packing out or camping).

10mm shoot great, can be used for hunting and lots of ammo available.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back