Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Elk quarter weights

sschultz

Quick question for you elk hunters. How much does an elk quarter weigh bone in and boned.

Front or hind? I put a femur of a big cow on a scale last year and it was 3lbs, the blade and humerus were 4lbs. Add in the shanks on both of those, are probably 2lbs each.

So, front quarter bones are probably 6-8lbs, and hinds are 5-8lbs each or 22-32lbs all in for all four.

I would guess 80 to 90 lbs. bone in. minus 10 to 15 lbs. for bone out.

I had 215lbs of boned out meat this year from my bull... I'm guessing: Rear Quarter 65lbs, Rear Quarter 65lbs, Front shoulder 30lbs, Front Shoulder 30lbs, back straps and tenderloins 16lbs, Neck, ribs, brisket 11lbs. I usually leave as much brisket as possible on the front shoulders so whats left is mostly trim.

Not sure (of course varies per animals) but what I can say for sure is that packing a full rear quarter, backstrap and the headgear off of a bull for a few miles up and down the steeps will cure any doubts you have about your "manliness" ;)

I haven't played around with elk in a long time, but cut meat for a couple years commerically, and have cut up dozens upon dozens for myself and family.

We weighed everyone that came in (got paid by the lb). Bull hanging carcass with bone in (Oct/Nov) ran from 300-425lbs tops. Most raghorns were in the 325-350 range. Cows were 75-100lbs less. This was MT, by the way.

A good average for bone in hind quarters:

Bull - 65lbs
Cow - 50lbs

Fronts are usually about 10-15lbs lighter. But depends bulls have a bit heavier fronts than cows

Maybe another 50lbs of trim/straps.

Its been my experience, a typical bull (2-3yo) will net you about 160-180lbs of cut/wrapped meat. It depends on field care, and how shot up it is too. A mature bull will be in the 200-220 range. Also depends on time of the year. Earlier they are heavier, later they are leaner...

I've seen a couple elk that had hind quarters that weighed 100+lbs and they came from Kodiak Island Roosevelt elk on steroids and are freak of nature in size.

We have weighed 2 or 3 bulls.

A buddies 310" 6x6:

91lbs each hind quarter with the bone in.
68-70 lbs for each front quarter with the bone in.
I don't remember the scrap meat weight.

Always cracks me up when you talk to someone that has know idea what they're talking about and they say they got AT LEAST 500 lbs of meat off of an elk... LOL

Come on I get at least 700 lbs. of meat on my little raghorns. LOL. Whatever it weighs it's worth a few extra minutes a quarter to bone it out in my opinion. No sense in humping bones down the mountain.

Last edited:
I've just taken one bull, a medium-size one in CO. I was curious about the weights of everything so I did weigh the quarters and backstraps, as well as the total boneless yield. Hindquarters were 76 pounds, shoulders were 67 pounds, and each backstrap was about 15 pounds. The total weight of what came home in my coolers (boneless) was 223 pounds.

I have probably packed as many boned out elk as anyone in the last 40 plus years. There are always variables but I carry a spring scale and weigh each side before loading on a horse/mule to balance the load. Cows generally run in the 90-100 lbs per side on a horse for a total boned out weight in the 190 lb-200 lb area. Bulls vary but generally on a mature bull I figure 110-120 lbs per side on a mule for a total boned out weight in the 220-240 lb range. This does not include and skull or horns.

Well limited too 7 years experience and 6 elk...... my spike last year completely boned out (just meat) 110 lbs (he was little).... my mature first year 6 point from 2 years ago was 220 lbs boned out. Pretty much everything else will fall in between that unless its a calf or a giant bull....
Matt

I had 215lbs of boned out meat this year from my bull... I'm guessing: Rear Quarter 65lbs, Rear Quarter 65lbs, Front shoulder 30lbs, Front Shoulder 30lbs, back straps and tenderloins 16lbs, Neck, ribs, brisket 11lbs. I usually leave as much brisket as possible on the front shoulders so whats left is mostly trim.
Really close to this. I weighed the quarters after I got home last year from my bull. I was pretty sure each quarter weighed a couple hundred pounds after the 3 mile hike to the road but it was close to these weights. Naturally now I can't find the paper I wrote them down on.... Next year will be more though. Due to our great game management, animals are getting heavier every year I have noticed. ��

I haven't played around with elk in a long time, but cut meat for a couple years commerically, and have cut up dozens upon dozens for myself and family.

We weighed everyone that came in (got paid by the lb). Bull hanging carcass with bone in (Oct/Nov) ran from 300-425lbs tops. Most raghorns were in the 325-350 range. Cows were 75-100lbs less. This was MT, by the way.

A good average for bone in hind quarters:

Bull - 65lbs
Cow - 50lbs

Fronts are usually about 10-15lbs lighter. But depends bulls have a bit heavier fronts than cows

Maybe another 50lbs of trim/straps.

Its been my experience, a typical bull (2-3yo) will net you about 160-180lbs of cut/wrapped meat. It depends on field care, and how shot up it is too. A mature bull will be in the 200-220 range. Also depends on time of the year. Earlier they are heavier, later they are leaner...

I've seen a couple elk that had hind quarters that weighed 100+lbs and they came from Kodiak Island Roosevelt elk on steroids and are freak of nature in size.
Thank you for this breakdown (no pun intended). Very helpful.

They will vary by age and area. Split at the third rib, they seem to range from 62 - 85 lbs per quarter (bone in). Bones weigh about 28%. I remember killing an old bull in the 60s that the hind quarters weighed 104lbs by butcher scale. He was charging by the lbs to cut it so----.

I killed a young dry cow in 19 and I think the yield was 197 lbs of boneless and wrapped meat. I usually figure scraps and bloodshot at 5-7 lbs.

I wonder at people that bone oit their elk and get it into a pack and take it out in one load. Must have left the hamburger or are shooting little elk. I've seen a lot of waste over the years and still can't accept it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fred Powell Sr
Back