Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Eloping to Alaska!

bstrasheim55

So, my soon to be bride and I have decided to do something a little against the grain. Instead of your typical wedding, we're going to elope to Alaska for a wedding/honeymoon combo! The only plan we really have at the moment is to fly into Anchorage and go from there. We're looking to spend a week or so there to take our time and do some exploring. I was wondering if any of you guys had some recommendations for a fishing charter in the Anchorage area? We're not looking for luxury, just someone who can take us out and put us on the fish. Also, if you have any other info on must-do activities please share. Thanks!

We went to Alaska for our honeymoon as well. My aunt told me the only thing to do in Anchorage is get a rental car and leave.

We drove down to Homer. Charter boats everywhere. Seward was a really neat place too.

Congratulations!

When? I wouldn't come in May/June. Pretty spotty fishing until later.

Homer is overrated, IMO. I doubt ill ever fish therr again, after a 18 or more trips, it just keeps getting worse and more and more expensive. Seward is better fishing due to the variety of fish available. Whittier is also a good bet. Charters book fast, most of the good ones are booked 3/4 of July and Aug already. No such thing as luxury charter, haha. It's either a crappy boat that sorta goea fast, or a really crappy one.

I would expect charters to go up again this year due to reduced fishing days for halibut. Try to get on a six pack boat, and avoid the big party boats 12+ fisherman all costs. You get what you pay for... and it's a cluster fug. expect to pay 350pp minimum for multi species full day trip. The good guys will be getting $400pp/day. Drift fishing for rock fish, and ling cod is 10x more fun than halibut chumming. Silver's and kings in the salt are fun as well. I would seriously consider a fly out salmon fishing charter day trip over a salt trip, unless your heart is set on it. Same price or less, and crazy good fishing can be had with no crowds. Could also charter a king/red trip on the Kenai or Kasilof (the later has far less traffic). They run about 250pp and up. Again you get what you pay for. Dates are critical to sucess.

Fishing is best mid july through August, but timing is everything with salmon, here today gone tomorrow, and run a can be off a week or more. Lots of opps from shore for free at that time of the year, but expect company unless you do your homework. Fishing between 3am and 7am is best or 8pm till midnight/dark thirty, i.e. bear hours, and few fisherman.

Not much in anchorage, but not far to the fun either. A train ride is always a hit, north or south. I prefer th go Northeast, vs north to Denali, way fewer terrorist, and plenty to see. The Denali highway is pretty awesome.

Hotels and car rentals are booking fast. Peak season can be pricy.

Congrats and good luck!

Seward might be worth looking into. Depends on the time of year. Way worth it to go north to McKinley for a day or two.if you can catch it on a clear day it's one of sight of a life time.

Truth, Passion, Adventure.
All you need to know to have a successful marriage.
Best to you and your new bride to be.
Go have fun.

Denali is a must see. Definately take some time to see.
And I second the book early and you get what you pay for sentiment .
Better to spend a little more and get the experience you dream of
Rather than skimp and have a horror story.

Alaska is the last best place!

A couple years ago my wife and I had a caribou hunt cut short, and found ourselves in Anchorage with two weeks to burn and a rental car. We met up with Bambistew and he put circles on our map. It was the funnest two weeks of my life.

The Kenai peninsula was absolutely incredible. I killed so much time just sitting in the car in turnouts glassing bears, goats and sheep. We didn't fish down there, but we took a sight seeing boat out of Seward that was pretty awesome. We saw a ton of goats from the boat.

We went in September and the cloud cover prevented us from seeing Denali even though we went by twice. You can't see much at the park unless you take a bus tour either, which sounds miserable. The drive from Anchorage through Denali to Fairbanks is pretty underwhelming if you can't see the mountain. We did take the train back though and that was a cool experience, for my wife anyways.

We didn't take the Denali highway because it was a really wet period and I wasn't sure how the rental car would handle it. We were also smack dab in the middle of caribou and moose season. Looking back I really wish we would have went through.

The drive from Fairbanks to Paxson and back to Anchorage was much more scenic than Denali. A lot different scenery then you get down on the Kenai, but just as cool.

Another sweet trip is the ferry from Whittier to Cordova, come back and get off in Valdez and drive back to Anchorage. Easily the prettiest drive in the state. Good salt fishing out of Valdez and Cordova.

And yes I meant terrorists... :)

if you want a chartered fishing boat Homer has a ton, call ahead for Homer or Seward.

in Seward I would take the catamaran out to the fijords.

also head north to Denali.

my second time to alaska was about a week over memorial day: flew to anchorage, drove to denali, did a day there, made our way back south to palmer did some hiking/driving, south some more went to the wildlife thing south of anchorage (better than the zoo, we did that too not worth it), went to seward did the boat cruse, then went to homer and back to anchorage did some hiking and flew home.

one thing to remember is just because it's still daylight doesn't mean there are any restaurants still open lol, got into homer at 11:30 and couldn't figure out why there was no where for dinner... I think t hat night we had hot dogs on the beach over the camp stove

I like Valdez a lot and the drive over on the Elliot is one of the prettiest I have ever seen. Lots of good fishing charters available in Valdez, though halibut tend to be smaller than fishing out of Homer. There is a really neat sightseeing tour. From Valdez, I would head north to Paxson and take the Denali Highway over to the park. It is another beautiful drive with a high chance of wildlife. In Denali, you do need to take a bus tour to really see the park. As awful as that sounds, it really is worth it. I tell everyone going up there to do it. It is crazy beautiful, you will see tons of wildlife, and the guides are all very good. You can then drive down to Anchorage and complete your circuit.

Another pretty drive is up the Glenn highway north out of Palmer. Awesome views all the way up to Sheep Mountain and the Matanuska Glacier. Keep on going and it takes you over to the Wrangells.

Not much to add, but my wife and I got married in Alaska in 2006 which was our 3rd or 4th trip and we have been up many times since. One thing you will find out quick is a week won't be enough. Do yourself a favor and go for two weeks if your budget and vacation time will allow it. That won't be long enough either but you will have a great time. Fishing in Homer was ok, not great and definitely avoid the big boats with lots of people. We did that once on a whim and it sucked. If you do go to Homer, the scenery is awesome. We stopped in Seward once and thought it to be a bit too touristy for our taste. I've always enjoyed Valdez and have had pretty decent fishing. If you go on a even number year when the pink salmon run is on, you can catch them from Allison Point all day long although it can get crowded. If it were me, I'd target the the first 2 weeks of August.
Renting a vehicle, and exploring can be a great time. Plenty of good fishing from the road system for other than salmon and a few days on the Denali Hwy is tough to beat.

Last edited:
Seward over Homer for Sure. Denali is one of my favorite places. During the not peak season you are allowed (or used tp be, been a few years) to drive in farther than peak season with out taking the bus. If you venture as far north as Fairbanks, check out the Chena Hot Springs.
Hatcher pass is a good drive.

Gotta say though 1 week isn't enough. AK is just too big!

For a real adventure drive to Tok and take the Taylor highway to Dawson City. Incredible history and scenery.

Back