Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Pronghorn where to start

Goatherder

I'm from Tennessee and have always wanted to hunt pronghorn. I would like to do it in 2018. Is there a state that I could draw a tag without points? I would like to either rifle or smokeless muzzleloader hunt. Also I want the hunt to be DIY. Thanks for any help given.

Wyoming is where ya want to go, go to their web site and check out drawing odds. That will tell you where you can draw with 0 points

There are a few units in WY that I believe you can draw with 0 points. A GoHunt subscription helps with this or getting deep into the Wyoming Game and Fish website. Be sure to apply for some doe tags as well. Cheap and available.

I was in the same boat about 3 years ago. 0 pts and wanting to go antelope hunting as a newbie. Since it is such a long haul from Texas, we didn't want to make the long drive and end up in a poor unit with 0 points. We looked hard at the draw odds and it seems like some real quality hunts opened up with 2-3 points. We accumulated the appropriate gear and researched over the 2 season waiting at home and drew this past year and all 5 in our party tagged out rather quickly with 70"+ bucks. It was an awesome hunt and we saw tons of antelope and we are already planning our next hunt in the years to come. If you can wait a few years and get to that 2-3 pt mark, I believe your hunt experience will be well worth the wait. But I haven't hunted a unit with 0-1 pts and I am sure there are a few out there that you can get lucky in and the more often you hunt, the more you will learn.

For bucks, any unit in the grassland in eastern Wyoming will be your best bet for your first time hunt. 26 will allow you to get out, hike, and get away from people. Still expect to see a few people though.

For doe antelope, any unit you can draw will be good. There will most certainly be a landowner that will let you shoot a doe for free if you can't seem to find one on public land.

Why is that? There's just so many or they don't like them?

Yep, often times the antelope hang out on alfalfa or other crop fields and the ranchers don't like them eating the feed. And they get a ~$16 voucher for each animal killed on their land, which doesn't sound like much, but one landowner we know had over 80 animals killed on his ranch this year.

Antelope does are weird around alfalfa fields. We have friends from Colorado that come up every year to hunt does and this year we went out and they shot a doe from a herd of 20 and the herd ran off of the pivot field. No joke, 20 minutes later the herd was back on and his finance killed another doe. We took those 2 does home and came back out in about 2 hours and killed 2 more does the same way. I guess if the feed is that good, they don't mind the attrition.

I would hunt units you can draw with your second and third choice while you build points. Plus maybe you get lucky and draw your first choice through the random draw. That’s what I’m doing and had a blast this year in a easy to draw unit.

I would hunt units you can draw with your second and third choice while you build points. Plus maybe you get lucky and draw your first choice through the random draw. That’s what I’m doing and had a blast this year in a easy to draw unit.

Just saw your post from the past year congrats on that hunt any tips for a fellow Michigan guy? Haha were looking to do our first trip hunting something other other than whitetail and was thinkin antelope would be great to get started on

Yeah this right here is the way I’m going and have been able to hunt and gain the experience I need so when I cash in my points I’ll know what it takes to get a big buck. There are big bucks in many of the areas that are zero point/second choice units it’s just catching them on public land.

If you’d like to hunt now I’d not let lack of “enough points” discourage you at all. Get out & enjoy it now! Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back