Remington 700 Mountain SS

rtraverdavis

Have any of y’all shot one of these?
https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-mountain-ss
I’m in the market for a new rifle chambered in either 7mm-08 or 6.5 Creed—don’t care which. I was at the gun shop after work today ready to buy a Bergara B-14, Tikka T3x, or Kimber Hunter in one of those two calibers, but got distracted by this 700. It’s more money than I wanted to spend but seemed like a great rifle. Of the three rifles I planned on choosing from I would go with the Bergara, but I wonder if this Remington might be worth the extra. I really liked the stock and the fact that it’s stainless—which the Bergara is not.
I did a search of old posts looking for information on this rifle, but it sounds like Remington recently updated it. I’d love to hear thoughts from anyone who has one. Thanks guys.

I'm still kinda gun shy, pun intended, when it comes to Remington products. Some of their failures were pretty scary. Maybe it was all media hype. Im sure others will chime in

My primary big game rifle is a 700 Mountain Rifle LSS, the predecessor to the current model. They are the same rifle but the older models have a laminate stock so there is a little more weight. I fondled one of the newer ones a few weeks ago at Cabelas, the new stock is a definite improvement over the laminate unit.

My rifle was produced in 2007 and had one of the first generation xmark pro triggers. I didn't care for the trigger so it's since been replaced with a Triggertech. My trigger was one of the recalled xmark units. I never, ever had an issue with the trigger malfunctioning. I just did not care for the inconsistent pull weight. Elsewise, the rifle ran MOA with mild 280 Remington handloads. It was stripped, trued, and rechambered to 280AI a few years ago and is a solid MOA rifle with moderately warm handloads now. It's not a target rifle. It's not a long-range rifle. It's a short barreled, skinny contour, nice handling rifle for the mountains. I'm a big fan of stainless for hunting applications as well.

I'm still kinda gun shy, pun intended, when it comes to Remington products. Some of their failures were pretty scary. Maybe it was all media hype. Im sure others will chime in

Then you are missing out on some great rifles. If you are talking about trigger issues, it's an easy fix. Not downplaying others claims, but in over 30 years of shooting Remington 700's, I've not had one issue. mtmuley

I'm shy on Remington's too. For that price point on the Mountain Rifle I would be looking alot harder at a Sako.

Thinking a Sako’d run about 40% more. Nothing wrong with that 700 Mountain...but it would require some tinkering to get it to mtmuley performance expectations.

Good looking rife, I wouldn’t be afraid of it.

don't overlook the Howa Alpine Mt Rifle in those calibers either. you don't have to pay full MSRP for one. I scored a great deal on a new one in .308 on gunbroker for $700 including shipping and FFL fee. the gun is lighter than the other rifles you are looking at and mine shoots well below 1moa. Also Legacy sports was a dream to work with when I had a problem with how my metal floor plate was fitting in the stock. all that said, the Remington Mountain Rifle was on my short list but couldn't find the deal I wanted and I still would like one for my sons first rifle in a few years. and if I'm not mistaken, the Tikka is not a true short action like a Sako, or Howa. they use the same long action as a .270. main reason I didn't buy one in 300wsm a few years ago

Thinking a Sako’d run about 40% more. Nothing wrong with that 700 Mountain...but it would require some tinkering to get it to mtmuley performance expectations.

Good looking rife, I wouldn’t be afraid of it.

Isn't a mountain rifle about a grand new? The Sako's can be had for about that or less. I bought a new 700 last summer and the fit, finish, and overall quality was terrible.

Isn't a mountain rifle about a grand new? The Sako's can be had for about that or less. I bought a new 700 last summer and the fit, finish, and overall quality was terrible.

Which model Sako are you referring to? I was thinking Finnlite or Stainless Hunter.

Then you are missing out on some great rifles. If you are talking about trigger issues, it's an easy fix. Not downplaying others claims, but in over 30 years of shooting Remington 700's, I've not had one issue. mtmuley

I cant disagree with that. 700 has had a long standing reputation as a fine rifle. You probably properly maintain yours, which in all fairness seemed to be half the problem

I've had mod 700's for a lot of years. All Walker trigger's and never a problem one, all adjusted to 3# pull. These new stainless rifle's turn me cold. If I was given one I'd sell it and get a rifle with wood stock and blue barrel. Something I think would work for me is if the blackened the barrel like they did on their early mod 700 in 264 Win Mag, I could easy live with that. Oh and I believe those early one's used a reg steel action.

My 700's are all under 1" shooter.s all day long!

I personally think the stocks are a bit bulky. Thats what started my custom job. I like a nice thin stock for a "mountain rifle"

I personally think the stocks are a bit bulky. Thats what started my custom job. I like a nice thin stock for a "mountain rifle"

Right now I have two ADL's, a 243 and a 25-06. Both have that slender stock. Have a BDL but the stock is quite a bit bulkier.

Thanks guys. As far as fit and feel go, it was pretty close between the 700 and the Bergara, with a slight edge going to the 700. I wasn't crazy about the way the Tikka or the Kimber felt, even though I know they're both reputed to be great rifles. The Kimber was impressively light, but felt more like a big potato chip than a rifle...

It's not often I get an opportunity at buying a rifle, so I'm probably over thinking it. I'm wary of Remington's quality control reputation, but really like that gun. I'd really prefer a stainless barrel, but all of the Bergara's I've seen have been real shooters right out of the box. I'll probably make a spur-of-the-moment decision based more on emotions than factual evidence--much like voting, eh?

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice.

There was a day when there was zero positive impressions of Savage rifles. Takes a while to shake. Don't be scared of that Remington. mtmuley

Which model Sako are you referring to? I was thinking Finnlite or Stainless Hunter.

Those are pretty pricey. I was referring to these: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...mm+Remington+Magnum+24.4+3+1+Synthetic+Gray+w

Most of the A7's can be had at that price point. The sportsman's warehouse in Grand Junction had a few of them for $698 on sale.

For the record I love the 700 action. I just don't trust Remington to build it anymore. QC has really slipped the last decade. Just my opinion. I sold the 700 I bought last summer and bought a Christensen Arms Mesa (based on the 700 action), which is very well put together.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back