Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in Montana View Post
    Are you gonna say, "Gave him the ol' Howa handshake"?

��
    Whatever I say in the moment will probably have to be bleeped out LOL
    I'm an addict...archery, rifles, shotguns, handguns, muzzleloaders, hunting, fishing, fly fishing..and I don't want rehab

CWEH...Colorado's Worst Elk Hunter 2007-2016 (but I'm still damned sexy)

I've got 2 Howas in the safe. Both shoot very well and both cost under $500 new. I don't have an issue with the Hogue stocks on either of them. They shoot sub MOA at 100 and don't print outside the vitals at 400. I have a hard time believing that a missed shot at an ethical distance can be blamed on a stock. I do agree that the rubberized Hogue isn't the best looking but my pretty guns don't hunt much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by 6speed View Post
    I've got 2 Howas in the safe. Both shoot very well and both cost under $500 new. I don't have an issue with the Hogue stocks on either of them. They shoot sub MOA at 100 and don't print outside the vitals at 400. I have a hard time believing that a missed shot at an ethical distance can be blamed on a stock. I do agree that the rubberized Hogue isn't the best looking but my pretty guns don't hunt much anymore.
    And it gives you the extra benefit of a built in excuse if the hunter blows a shot - "damn plastic stock". I agree sub MOA plastic stocks kill just as well as the fancy ones.
    "Freedom is NOT Free"

4. Default

No love for Howa's??? Here is a Weatherby Vanguard that I loved with 60+hours worth of my free time into a 7mm Rem Mag with a 24" Douglas barrel, claro walnut stock, and 20 lpi point checkering. My wifes neice wanted it built as a wedding gift to her future husband. Dude got a sweet rifle and a great girl. I really like building on Howa actions. Well made, simple, generally good triggers, and easy to inlet into a stock.

Name:  IMG_1916 small.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  143.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_1917 small.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  126.2 KB

Wow, beautiful grain and figuring!
    Fear the beard....

That stock, wow...6 to midnite quickly.

I'd almost give up my Hogue for that chunk of wood....lol.

Man, that is a beautiful gun.

9. Default

Thanks, all. When I got the blank for that stock, it didn't look like much. A little figure, but not much. Halfway through shaping, it finally started to come alive. In the sunlight you can see into the wood.

Just an example of a Howa based custom. Like I said, I like working with them. I usually have to do more work to a Remington or Winchester to get a good result.

Jeremy

10. Default

There's a store close to where I live the carries howa. I looked at them before I bought my first rifle. I grew up with a grandfather that loved guns and all I ever seen or heard about was Winchester Remington or Marlins. So when the guy at the store was showing me this new gun first 2 things I noticed was the ugly green stock and how heavy it was. I didn't rule it out because it was in my price range of under $750. The gun was a 1500 in .308 and the only .308 they had in stock. I went to a couple other stores in town and one had a tikka and I had never heard of them before either. I liked how light it was and it was ss. I ended up with the tikka not because of marketing. I like the looks of it the weight and the price. I liked it so much after shooting it I bought another one in 300 win mag. Up until last year I had never been hunting out west and indiana wouldn't allow high powered rifles.

Howas are either 3 to 400 dollars or 8 to 900. The 1500, 3 to 400 dollar gun, when I show people, they complain that it is on the heavy side, which it is. They pick up a savage or ruger american and prefer that weight. Their alpine rifle is almost 900 and most guys if they are going to spend that will jump to a Browning X bolt, Bergera, Tikka, Kimber hunter, etc. Howa could compete well with Tikka if they could produce a light accurate rifle in the 5 to 600 dollar range. But, tikka is producing a highly functional stainless rifle for less than the Howa and the tikkas come with sakos awesome triggers and barrels.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123