books

redduck

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for some good mule deer/western hunting books, so I would appreciate any suggestions.

Best,
Redduck

I found a book for mule deer called "Mule Deer: Hunting Today's Trophies" that has some good info, also has some "Find the animal" pics in it that help.

I found a book for mule deer called "Mule Deer: Hunting Today's Trophies" that has some good info, also has some "Find the animal" pics in it that help.

David long is taking pre orders now for his new mule deer hunting book that will be available late next month

I have a couple of the Cameron Hanes books - I really enjoyed the Backcountry Bowhunting book and his other is Hunting Trophy Blacktail, Mike Eastman has a good one called Hunting High Country Mule Deer, all 3 are good reads.
Matt

I like Steven Rinella's book, The Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering, and Cooking Wild Game, Volume 1, Big Game. It's full of good info on a variety of big game in the US, including mule deer.

Hunting Big Mule Deer: How to Take the Best Buck of Your Life by Robby Denning is a good book.

David Long's Public Land Mulies and the Eastman books are good too.

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for some good mule deer/western hunting books, so I would appreciate any suggestions.

Best,
Redduck

Clearly, the most interesting and engrossing book that has ever been written on the subject of mule deer hunting (in my opinion) is Kirt Darner's book 'How to Find Giant Bucks'. It's unlike any book ever written on the subject of trophy mule deer hunting, an informative and exceptionally entertaining book. You also might try 'Mule Deer Country' by Valerius Geist, Professor Emeritus of the University of Calgary, an interesting book on the life habits of mule deer by one of North America's foremost authorities on the subject.

Not exactly a how-to, but Mule Deer Quest by Walt Prothero is an excellent read IMO. He also has a Mule Deer Strategies book, but I've not read it.

I would order David Long's brand new read on mountain mule deer hunting.......it's titled, "The Edge". Pre-orders are now available. For bowhunting mule deer, Dwight Schuh's "Hunting Open County Mule Deer" is an exceptional read.

Geist is a good one. I had to go back and read some of his books about sheep over and over. Packed with information.

Blood in the Tracks: A Mule Deer Manifesto, starts out a little odd but was a good read.

I missed the D Schuh books on my bookcase. How could I do that.That guy knows his stuff too.

Kurt Darner, Robby Denning, Mike Eastman, and David Long have written favorites. Jim Colllyer's "Blood in the Tracks" taught me a good bit too. I read these and then started into the older ones by Shuh, Van Zwoll, Zumbo, O Connor, and others. Much of what the older writers wrote I had already read in the newer books, the authors of the newer books learned from the authors of the older ones. All of them were worth reading to me, I learned a little from each of them.

isn't Kurt Darner the dude that bought all those big muley bucks and claimed he shot them? there was something about him I remember reading

I have just about every mule deer book available. While I'm looking forward to receiving my new copy of The Edge, the favorites I have in hand are Mike Eastmans' Mule Deer Hunting Tactics and Robby Denning's How to Take the Best Buck of Your Life.. They are great from front to back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back