PEAX Equipment

Roto doves... how many is too many?

Wyhunter

Last year I bought a single Roto dove and had great success with it. Has anyone tried multiple Roto doves in a spread? How many? I'm sure they will spook with too many, much like waterfowl. What do you use for a spread?

Today I used a pair along with a half dozen plain old decoys. Had more than enough come into the decoys that I could have limited out. That is, if I wasn't such a poor shot. I was hunting over a strip of freshly disked wheat field that was harvested long ago. Right next to a seed corn field that was cut earlier this week. I bet at least 10 doves landed inside the spread even.

Only ever used one, but you can never have enough clip on decoys. I can't imagine multiple roto's would spook dove, IlliniFIre, did you have your pair spread out or in a cluster? They're very social birds and even if they came in on curiosity and then spooked in flight it just might be too late for them. Now here's the challenge, limit of dove with one box of shells. I'm not ashamed to say I buy a brick at a time! Good luck, dove breast stuffed jalapeno poppers are in order!

Today I used a pair along with a half dozen plain old decoys. Had more than enough come into the decoys that I could have limited out. That is, if I wasn't such a poor shot. I was hunting over a strip of freshly disked wheat field that was harvested long ago. Right next to a seed corn field that was cut earlier this week. I bet at least 10 doves landed inside the spread even.

Exactly what I do 2 rotos 1/2 dozen clip ons with good results. I wouldn't go much over 2 per hunter.

Exactly what I do 2 rotos 1/2 dozen clip ons with good results. I wouldn't go much over 2 per hunter.

Dad and I did the same thing down in Indiana today. We hunt the DNR managed game areas and had 18 guys in our field. I'd say half had a single robo. We put out a pair w/ single dekes on stakes and 2-3 on tree branches off the robo stakes. Not sure it made a huge difference, but the birds that wanted into the field wanted in by our spread.

Doves have a short life, they don't act like migrating waterfowl that have seen it all by the time they hit Texas. I have seen some days where a new robo tree will flare a few birds, but more times than not you'll get the suckers to decoy well to multiple robos.

Heading back tomorrow to hopefully shoot a little better...can't wait for some dove poppers!

-tom

I've been out three times now... by far the best set up for me was: 1 Roto dove with a circle of clip on decoys around it. We were pulling in doves from 150 yards out with it. Never had much luck with 3 Rotos, and descent luck with 2. It's not a very hot field, we average about 15 dove between the 2 of us each time out.... and at least 2 boxes of shells hahaha. Thank you for all of the responded and good luck to everyone out there this weekend!

There was a crack shot next to me(unfortunately) that I think limited (10 white wings) with 10 or 12. It was demorializing...haha. Not sure how many it took me to limit, but waaaay longer. Doh.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheWolf
Back