Caribou Gear

Rifle Sling

Sagesniffer

What is everyone's preferred rifle sling?
I've always hunted with the traditional type but i'm tried of the rifle slipping off the shoulder. I want something i can hike with hands free. So maybe i could use trekking poles. Any ideas? Someone suggested the Safari Sling. Anyone try that one?
I remember in one of Randy's video he mentioned a hands free sling but i can't find that video.
Thanks

Last edited:
Browning X-Cellerator slings go on all of my rifles and shotguns. I can't stand a sling that I can't tighten up with one hand quickly after I take it off my shoulder. It doesn't slip off my shoulder, either. It's the best sling out there in my opinion.

I would second the Montana Gun Slings and also throw in the Vero Vellini slings.

For nostalgia's sake I love those old heavy stiff leather garand-style slings - have one on my old marlin 336 for just that reason, but from a functionality stand point the Specialty Outdoors (and Slogan Outdoors it appears) are light years ahead.

If that one don't suit you, try www.sloganoutdoors.com I love this sling. Some type of super-duper synthetic rubber that won't slip off your shoulder- period. You can move it from the strap over one shoulder to a "backpack" style carry with a strap over each shoulder in less than 2 seconds. Has a lifetime warranty.[/QUOTE

I have one on my 7mm08 and like it very well, I bought it several years ago at the KC sports show. It will not slide off your shoulder and you can convert to backpack style very quickly.

I have never used a Montana sling but I am curious. What does everyone like about them.

Just looking at them I would guess the following:
1. The prices seem more than reasonable.
2. I would imagine they are durable due to the construction.

Are they comfortable to actually have over your shoulder on a long hike in or out of a hunting area?

Thanks

Last edited:
Actually, for the money, I've not found a single sling that I like better than the $8 Wilson neoprene padded sling from Wally World. Wide pad on the shoulder, all the quick adjustments you'd imagine and pretty much as rot proof as any out there.

I have never used a Montana sling but I am curious. What does everyone like about them.

Just looking at them I would guess the following:
1. The prices seem more than reasonable.
2. I would imagine they are durable due to the construction.

Are they comfortable to actually have over your shoulder on a long hike in or out of a hunting area?

Thanks

Very comfortable to have over the shoulder. The guy that makes them has it all set up from his garage and is one hell of a good guy and also a member of hunt talk.

Last edited:
For my light rifles I use 7.5' of 3/16 nylon cord, thread through sling studs, add a fishermans knot to each end, and slide it until its tight, or loosen for packing on shoulder. My rifle is almost always on my pack, if not, I drape the "sling" over the top bar on my pack, or carry on my shoulder for short distances. Its light, handy, and simple.

For heavier rifles, I use a Vero Vellini neoprene sling. Stays put and is comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back