PEAX Equipment

Your Opinions

Jappenz617

Hello All, I'm a new member to this forum. I live in IL and I'm looking to do a western hunt next year. I've started purchasing preference points for Montana, Wyoming, and South Dakota. I've been purchasing points in SD for a couple years and wanted to do a deer hunt there this year but 3 young kids dictated otherwise. Next year will be the year (I hope).

My question is, if anyone had the choice what would be your go to state or favorite state to apply if you had an option to? I'm not guaranteed to really get any tag, but was curious to get some opinions as to where to focus energy from seasoned DIY hunters. Back in 2006 I hunted the panhandle of Idaho and in 2010 hunted Montana around White Sulphur Springs. I enjoyed Montana way more than Idaho. I have some family in Colorado and may try there too. Thanks in advance!

I've hunted deer in NW Colorado and SE and NW Wyoming, and of those 3 areas Colorado was my favorite (for deer). I have plans to hunt deer in Montana and Idaho within the next 2-3 years.

My advice would be to do as you are and keep your options open for multiple states, and try each one. You may have to make several trips before you find a place that you like well enough that you'd want to repeat that hunt.

Good luck.... everyone has there preference's. I would narrow down what kind of terrain you like to hunt, look at google earth in those state's and start planning.
Matt

Since I am a South Dakotan I am partial to my state. But really comes down to the type of hunt your after SD will be a bit more casual. But with a little bit a work it can provide some great opportunities. But this year most of the state is under severe drought so antler size might be down a bit. Haven't heard of any disease issues yet from the drought but usually there is some.

Plan according to harshness of winter, drought and fire season. A lot of MT is on fire right now but the next few years may be great hunting those new fire scars. Western Wyoming had a seriously bad winter for fawn mortality and may take a few years to rebound and like Sd-Esox said, SD is in a drought

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallguy
Back