Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

State Options

Wow, once in a lifetime bull there.
I would rather have that than a nice 5 or 6 pt any day.

After the research I have done I am contempt with hunting Montana general for now and will start putting in for drawings in Nevada and New Mexico. That way when I can afford time off to go hunt I will already have 3 to 5 points in each and will take a mediocre unit. I think total it will cost me less than 200 a year to submit both. By next season I will be a Montana resident so I can hunt elk and deer in MT every year for under 100 bucks.

After the research I have done I am contempt with hunting Montana general for now and will start putting in for drawings in Nevada and New Mexico. That way when I can afford time off to go hunt I will already have 3 to 5 points in each and will take a mediocre unit. I think total it will cost me less than 200 a year to submit both. By next season I will be a Montana resident so I can hunt elk and deer in MT every year for under 100 bucks.

I'm sure somebody will chime in that knows more than I do and correct me if I'm wrong. But NM is a straight up lottery so no points there. I'm not saying not to put in for NM (I do) but you won't be building points there. And it is my understanding that to hunt any elk unit in NV it will take many more than 3-5 points to draw an elk tag of any kind. I think it takes at least double digit points to even think about having a reasonable chance to draw a tag there. Not trying to discourage you, but don't want you to plan one thing and it not work out.

LW. I thought I was in the deer forum haha. My mistake on that. Nevada has deer units that are decent that can be drawn with 3 to 5 points. They don't have a true preference point system though it is that squared points system that just increases the odds of you drawing. You are right on New Mexico, I was looking at my notes wrong. Thanks for catching that.

For elk I am putting in for Wyoming and Arizona. Az being the long shot state several years in the future. Both those stares offer hunting that fits the higher plains and plateau description compared to western Montana and Idaho.

Wow, once in a lifetime bull there.
I would rather have that than a nice 5 or 6 pt any day.
My pard wasn't interested because of the messed up side, but I was. Just got beat to the punch so to speak by some other guys that had eyes on him as well. Don't find too many "8Xmess of stuff's" running around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back