MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Is a wall tent too heavy to backpack in?

I didn't take any of the notations on this thread as insulting, just a checking of expectations, which I appreciate and hope that my retorts are taken as explanations and not one-upsmanship. No need to start any pissing matches, I say. We're all here to learn and/or enjoy each other's experiences and I mightily appreciate the outpouring of opinion and knowledge. Definitely saved our backs and maybe even me burning a perfectly good wall tent in the backcountry out of frustration! Time for a tipi :)

Thanks again for all the comments!

We've horse-packed into the middle fork of the Salmon and our synthetic wall tent weighted 28 lbs IIRC. No problem for a horse and doable by a human as well. Montana Canvas and others sell lightweight wall tents and Cabelas sells a tipi style tent which will work as well by cutting the center pole once you get to camp. Cutting down trees for tent poles, especially in the backcountry, does NOT give hunters a bad name in my opinion, but it's always prudent to look around your campsite for poles that are already cut and leaning up against a tree to be re-used each year. Four guys in their 30's should be able to pack 3 miles, especially since you only have a 900' gain in altitude. Your bigger problem is when you get 4 350-class bulls on the ground 7 miles from the trailhead and you have to pack them out. Lightweight stove and pipe may be another 30 lbs. It's nice to be able to warm up in the morning and/or not freeze at night. A stocking hat worn while sleeping goes a long way to making you more comfortable. PM me if you'd like more info.

Also, a thick eyemask and earplugs help to keep in the warmth. A nice pad under the sleeping bag is important when temperatures are cold. I also like a sleeping bag that unzips from bottom as well as top as my feet can get warm if sleeping in wool socks yet I want to keep the rest of me bundled up in the bag. I like a fleece blanket to toss on the top of the sleeping blanket. Is light to pack but bulky yet does keep me warmer. I have also layer all my clothes, jackets, etc on top of the sleeping bag on really cold nights. Have slept very well in sub-freezing temps with hat pulled down over my ears, eyemask, etc.

Nix the wall tent idea if you're sure you're going in 3 miles, etc.. I'd plan on some more lightweight personal tents for sleeping & gear.
What you might be able to rig up though, is using some cheap plastic tarps. They are fairly lightweight for their size. If everyone carried a good sized tarp, you might be able to brainstorm how to rig a tent like shelter for cooking and hanging out. Rigged in the right way, you might be able to have a fire nearby, and get some of that heat to enter without burning the tarps up! With a little thought and ingenuity, you might be able to configure a pretty nice shelter without the weight and a nominal cost?

I may be nuts, but I've done it. I packed my 10x12 light canvas tent and a stove in one year ahead of time. I think the tent is about 35 lbs and it was a Riley stove that probably weighed 20. To put it in perspective I also brought a 55 gallon drum to put it all in. I now have mules, but in two trips about 3 miles and 1200 feet I didn't think it was that bad. Incidentally I brought it out on a plastic sled, but it was a fun season if relatively unproductive. I cut dead fir and lodgepole for the poles.
In retrospect I'd probably bring chairs (helinox or REI) and not the tent but it was a fun experience. Was also hunting in November which made the tent nice and I had the luxury of bringing it in before the hunt. I think you've gotten good advice, but it's certainly not impossible just probably not a great use of your energy. Like I said, if you are intent on bringing superfluous weight I'd bring chairs and a lantern, headlamps and sitting on the ground get old.

If you don't like the tipi style, look at The Courthouse model from Seek Outside. It is basically a lightweight wall tent. Like WAY lighter than a traditional wall tent.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back