Shooting Around Bozeman

alwayshunting

My wife's family is meeting up in Bozeman for a week starting tomorrow. My brother in law from California will be there and I was hoping to take him out to do a little shooting. He is hoping to go on his first hunt this fall with me if we draw our doe antelope tags in Wyoming and I want to spend some time shooting with him before we go. I plan to set up some targets (paper to make sure he is zeroed and a gong target for practicing field positions) on public land but am looking for any advice on which direction from Bozeman to head. I am aware of the closures that had taken place up Hyalite Canyon and I would prefer to avoid any area with that many recreationists. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Logan exit go left.. about 1/2 mile on the left is a 1x1 state section.. state lands use permit is required. 10$ I believe... different than a conservation... pick up your brass and targets..

Last edited:
Logan exit go left.. about 1/2 mile on the left is a 1x1 state section.. state lands use permit is required. 10$ I believe... different than a conservation... pick up your brass and targets..

Last time I was by that section it was closed to shooting because of all the trash, but it has been a couple years, has it reopened?

The Logan gun range is pretty nice, requires membership. If you want public land go down past the Redcliff Campground south of Big Sky on the right there is a shooting range that people have really made nice.

If Quackillr's recommendation doesn't pan out, head up Little Bear, Squaw Creek, or Moose Creek. Plenty of spots up there to shoot. Just don't be the guys I ran into on the way out of the woods grouse hunting last year. They pulled off the main forest road about 100 yards past a gated logging road where my vehicle was parked. They decided it would be a good to setup shooting back through the woods towards the gated road where I was parked and hunting. They had probably driven past 5-6 miles of great spots with no vehicles. Other than an ass$%@# guide in Yellowstone, it's the only time I've confronted someone in the woods.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will definitely be picking up my brass (even if I didn't reload) and any other trash we find. I end up picking up plenty of careless shooters trash at work and would not be a part of the problem.

Last time I was by that section it was closed to shooting because of all the trash, but it has been a couple years, has it reopened?

The Logan gun range is pretty nice, requires membership. If you want public land go down past the Redcliff Campground south of Big Sky on the right there is a shooting range that people have really made nice.

Re opened with signs that warn of fines for leaving trash and requirement of state lands use permit. I got a membership at Logan but it's nice to have a place close by to shoot extended range.

This range south of Big Sky is where the Forest Service will tell you to go. It is on the west side of the highway and has benches and most things you need. I don't remember if they had anything longer than 100 yards.

In addition to the Logan gun range, The Park County Rod and Gun Club in Livingston is a regular range, and the Greenway at the Fairgrounds allows pistol and 22 LR shooting during certain hours.

I wanted to follow up and say thanks for all the suggestions. We ended up going up Little Bear and finding a place on FS lands. My brother in law went away with a lot more shooting confidence then he arrived with. There was plenty of trash left behind from other careless shooters. We picked all of ours up and some of others, but could have spent the whole day and more picking up trash. Hopefully my brother in law will be able to take his first big game animal in two months.

If Quackillr's recommendation doesn't pan out, head up Little Bear, Squaw Creek, or Moose Creek.
Hey guys, I'm new to the Bozeman area from Wisconsin. I would always use public land to take my boys shooting (always respecting the land and cleaning up after myself and others) and would like to enjoy the same here. I have a couple of questions about public land in MT. If I shoot on National Forest land do I need a permit? I saw there is a 10 dollar state land access permit to shoot at the range near big sky (I can't find that range on sat photos by the way if anyone know where that it please share)

Also where are Little Bear, Squaw Creek, Moose Creek? Can I drive a truck up there and safely shoot? Thanks for any help!!

Back