Blm land southern part unit 16 wyoming

Wjesswheel

New here, from Indiana. My 2 sons and I are going on 1st antelope in Wyoming. First hunt out of Indiana. We will be hunting unit 16 on the blm land just north of i90. Appears there is like 72,000 acres there with access off dry creek road. I have talked to a warden there he says there are certainly hunt able numbers there, if we will just walk in a few miles away from the road. Looks like you can walk in 15 miles or so according to onxmaps. He says it a little hilly there and a different kind of antelope hunting then just the flat ground.

Was hoping for some info to help us newbies out with any info you have. We all do long range shooting planning on using my 308 that we all know well, was wondering if that might be a little much? I have read we might need tire chains and if they are really needed. Is there enough lopes out there we should pick up doe tags. What's the weather like there mid October and just any general info on the blm land in that area. What's the possibility of snow? Any info will be appreciated.

I have never hunted that unit so I'm no help in regards to the actual hunting experience, but I wouldn't go anywhere in Wyoming without 2 spares, chains, tool kit, and a shovel. Plan for the worst, hope for the best. You could easily be hunting in mud and snow. Good luck and have fun!

I spoke with the game warden there and specifically ask him about dry creek road to double check, he said at that exit there of i90 I could access dry creek road to west and that is was public to the west and a private road to the east. I have a map coming just have not seen it yet. I appreciate the info, you obviously kno the area where can I go to double check and do you have any idea how I can acces that area of blm. Is access possible through that crazy woman road, I chose that area specifically after talking to the warden hope he didn't lead me astray.

Last edited:
Dry creek rd west of the I90 exit is public, private east. It is private where it meets powder river road. Go to the Johnson county map viewer on their website. It shows all the public roads. Get a blm map and highlight the roads you can drive on.

Like Blake said have chains and tools. Coolers with frozen jugs of water since it might be warm. Bring a pack and skin and 1/4 the lope where you shoot it. Dragging sucks. 308 with 150 grains will work great. With that broken ground it should be easier to get in for a closer shot.

I hunted there last year, dry creek road is public west of the exit going to tippery Rd. There are antelope and with a little walking you guys will have a blast, get some doe tags as well. If I don't draw 73 I'll be back there again in October. There is a lot of land in that unit to walk on, not much to drive on.

Goat

You'll have a fun hunt. No need to shoot very long ranges in that country. It's broken enough to get about as close as you want, which is good because shooting in the Wyoming wind is tough. A .308 will work just fine. It could be 80 degrees or it could be 20 degrees. Chains never hurt but if you want to shoot antelope you'll be hiking a lot more than driving.

Last edited:
When I hunted 16 last year it was HOT during the day but it was cold at night. As for the terrain, I shot my buck at no more than 60 yards, as I used the broken landscape to sneak in on him. LOTS of orange hats, and road hunters, but I never saw a single person on foot more than 10 feet from a road!!!

I DID however see several jackwagons on ATV's driving illegally in a few areas. If you get away from the roads you should have a great hunt.

My greatest piece of advice .. with the broken terrain... BRING GOOD BOOTS THAT FIT WELL!!!! Blisters almost ended my hunt early!

That .308 in my opinion is great all around caliber. Not a super flat shooter but, flatter than many others with 150 gr. Bullets or smaller.
I would recommend a ballistic reticle scope or one with adj. turrets and a good range finder. With a little practice to confirm where to hold or adjust, that set up will reach as far as you feel comfortable shooting on an antelope .

Good luck guys!

You may not need to shoot far , but my motto is prepar for the worst and hope for the best. Many hunters pass on shots over 400 yrds. ,which is the right thing to do if you don't have the equipment and skill set to make those shots. Could make a difference.

Hey everyone thanks for all the great advice, most certainly sound like a lot of fun even if we go home with no lopes

You can get some but you'll walk your ass off.
The north and south land owners drive the roads every 30 minutes or so, and the lo off the east side sits in his truck, all day long, and scoots the goats back when they get close to the blm fence. I watched the game warden spend a few hours with a cpl guy's on the north end that thought they could shoot deer and Antelope on the private and get away with it.
Interesting spot to say the least.

Last edited:
But the game warden doesn't spend anytime with the land owners who are herding big game?

Interesting wouldn't be the word I chose for that.

As noted, you can drive to that piece if you go west from the Dry Creek Road exit. Once you drive onto it, you can actually drive a long way back onto it, assuming you have a 4WD vehicle. Once you drive way back to the NE corner, you will have to get out of the truck and start the hiking.

3y ago we took a doe in that piece near the road. Last fall we saw zero in that area on public, all over the fences onto private land.
Dad was not in a condition to walk past the NE corner so we didn't, but odds are you will have to do that.

Recommended -

Get onX maps for your GPS and use it. It's the best took you will have available.
Put the Western Land Ownership map onto your vehicle's GPS: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/wy
Combined with the onX on your handheld it's the only way to go and know for sure if you have private or public land.

Don't be afraid to use these maps to check out other areas of 16. Last October there were a LOT more hunters than in 2014, so good luck this fall!

Dad shot his last 2 lopes with his .308. It worked great and didn't cause excess damage

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back