MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Mannlicher

yacantski

Hello everyone, I have a western field 1970s mannlicher Mauser I got from my grandfather who bought it at Montgomery wards my dad actually thought it was made by mannlicher even though it says western field. I was wondering if anyone knows if you can get a synthetic stock for it?

I don't know about synthetic stocks but I would love to see a pic of the gun.

I would personally stay with the mannlicher stock. Sorry for the non helpful post.

What you have is most likely an FN (Fabrique Nationale) 98 large ring Mauser design action in a Mannlicher style stock. If so it should say "Made in Belgium" or something similar on the left side rail of the action and have Belgian proofs stamped into it. FN made several models of sporter rifles for Montgomery Wards and Sears as well as several other companies of similar bent back in the 70's. Most of the barrels were made by High Standard though some were made by other barrel manufacturers. I have a Western Field in -06 which has a micro groove barrel which I think was a Marlin thing for a few years. The Mannlicher-Schoenauer rifle could never be mistaken for a Mauser design, and the forestock went all the way to the end of the barrel on most models and so any guns made with similar stocks were often referred to as Mannlichers but they just happened to resemble Mannlichers.

You would have to get a synthetic stock which is inletted for a commercial grade Mauser 98 action since the military Mauser 98 and the commercial have different length bottom metal. The screw distances are the same but the overall lengths differ. You'd also have to know what the barrel taper is in order to get a proper fit. Richards stocks come to mind as being a good candidate but since I don't do synthetic that's the extent of my knowledge.

I'm a member of the Mauser Central Forums but we recently had our forum sniped and held for ransom so we've lost all our archive data and I'm not able to help beyond what I already have. I can tell you that you have a fine rifle and don't be put off by the Western Field name. Were it mine I'd keep it just as it is and call it Grandpa.

OK, I think I gave you some bad advice and since doing some research feel that what you have is a pretty unique gun if it's what I think you have. If it's a Model 724A then it's a copy of a 1924 FN INTERMEDIATE length action made for Heym by Zastava and barreled by Heym. They were marketed by MW, Herter's and possibly more outfits. It's rumored that some of them were full length actions but most were of the intermediate design with a notch machined in the rear edge of the front ring to accommodate the longer 30-06 cartridge. If you could post some good pics of the action on all sides and measure the distance of the action screws (center to center) that would help with it's identification. If it is the rifle just described it would say "Made in West Germany" which is where Heym is located. A proper fitting stock would be the one for the Yugo M48.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...25546/&usg=AFQjCNF8I6PMhLl2dWbuDayIDnIYMbiifg

This link should give you some good info.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mttedoc
Back