Caribou Gear

World Record Archery Bull on Display

H

hobbes

Anyone make it by to see the WR archery bull on display at the RMEF Visitor Center? I was in Missoula today and stopped by on my lunch break for a short visit. The bull is incredible up close in person. I took several photos with my phone, but not sure posting them would be appropriate. Just wondered if anyone had made it by to see it.

It's on the RMEF page, with a short story about it. Doesn't show the display. Just the bull after the shot. Shortly after the bull was taken somebody posted it here.

Is it as impressive in person as it looks online?

It's on the RMEF page, with a short story about it. Doesn't show the display. Just the bull after the shot. Shortly after the bull was taken somebody posted it here.

Is it as impressive in person as it looks online?

Yes, I saw the online photos when it was first posted. I think it is more impressive in person than the photos show

If you know what you are looking at it, it is very impressive. The mount was nicely done. The symmetry on this animal is incredible. It does loose some "that is a big bull factor" when it is surrounded by so many other record bulls. But that certainly doesn't take away from Steve or the accomplishment. (just being honest.) If you have a moment it's worth stopping in.

I wish my taxidermist could turn around a mount as quickly as this one did.

Has the hunter ever told his story of the hunt, etc. ???? Just curious.

I'm stopping by on my way through Missoula next week. Be a nice pit stop for the kids on our 4 hour drive to our camping spot.

Anybody ever notice that the 2 largest elk taken in MT were in counties right next to each other? must have some good genetics over there......
Matt

I think lots of people are noticing, as evidenced by the slew of new threads popping up on numerous forums this year with hunters seeking information on the area. Should be a mad house over there the next couple years with hunters trying to chase a world record bull who doesn't exist anymore.

Anybody ever notice that the 2 largest elk taken in MT were in counties right next to each other? must have some good genetics over there......
Matt

Montana's second largest elk was shot half a state away a long time ago. I think the second largest archery was taken in an adjacent county.

Eastern MT has big elk for several reasons.

Good genetics. Many of the elk here now came form elk that moved out of the Big Horn Mountains. Look at the records and you will see a lot of big bulls were taken in the Big Horn's in the 50's and 60's.

Relatively easy winters. Winter can be long and cold in eastern Mt but usually there is far less snow than in the mountains.

Lots of good feed. Even if the hills dry out the elk can move to the irrigated fields on the river bottoms.

Large ranches that elk can and often do move on to when the hunting pressure gets too heavy

Limited draw for bull tags. Both rifle and archery

Relatively low elk density. That limited elk tag is not that easy to fill. This is especially true for hunters that are unfamiliar with the aria.

Hi guys,
The elk will be displayed at the rmef visitor center in Missoula thru memorial day weekend.
I have a commitment with the elk for a bit then it will likely be there for a while longer.
The Boone and Crockett Club and Pope and Young Club have both published stories on the hunt in the "Fair Chase" and "Ethic" magazines they publish that goes out to there members.
Bugle magazine is going to.run a story soon that focuses more on the human interest side of the story soon.
I gave the 3 conservation organizations the first chance at the story as I felt that it was important to.recognize all they do for elk and elk habitat and all the support they have provided me thru the process of officially recognizimg the elk as the new World record pope and young typical elk.
i am very fortunate to have B and C and the rmef in the city I work.and live in.
Outdoor life will have a story out this summer that I wrote for them that will have all the details of the hunt.
I hope if you get a chance to read it you please do.
It's a good story.
Steve

Hi guys,
The elk will be displayed at the rmef visitor center in Missoula thru memorial day weekend.
I have a commitment with the elk for a bit then it will likely be there for a while longer.
The Boone and Crockett Club and Pope and Young Club have both published stories on the hunt in the "Fair Chase" and "Ethic" magazines they publish that goes out to there members.
Bugle magazine is going to.run a story soon that focuses more on the human interest side of the story soon.
I gave the 3 conservation organizations the first chance at the story as I felt that it was important to.recognize all they do for elk and elk habitat and all the support they have provided me thru the process of officially recognizimg the elk as the new World record pope and young typical elk.
i am very fortunate to have B and C and the rmef in the city I work.and live in.
Outdoor life will have a story out this summer that I wrote for them that will have all the details of the hunt.
I hope if you get a chance to read it you please do.
It's a good story.
Steve

Thanks for giving back to conservation. Couldn't have happened to a better guy

Back