Howa Apline MTN rifle - .308

Varget is a top powder for 308, Aussies know it as 2208. But I struggled to get good velocities in my 22 inch barreled Winchester M70 Extreme Weather with it. A mate put me onto ADI 2206H, I think it is Hodgdon 4895 in the US, immediately I picked up 200fps with 150 gainers for 2850fps and absolutely no loss of accuracy.

It will be a ball tearer in the 20 inch barreled Alpine Rifle.

Just tried filling the mag......dang it! Holds and feeds one round OK, but hangs up on 2 or 3. Gonna have to shorten them up

Have you tried feeding with factory ammo just to be sure it's not what Aussie suggested?

Thanks for the reply! I've always just shot the same loads that my dad has always loaded, so I was curious.

I handled one of them last fall. It will likely be the next rifle I drag home. Being well-heeled in 308 components makes the decision easy.

The scope you chose is one of my favorites. I did a side by side comparison a couple evenings ago. It was dusk. Deer-thirty as I like to call it. The VX3i was noticeably clearer and brighter than the other two scopes I had out. A Vortex 4-16X Diamondback side focus,and a VX2 4-12X AO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back