Yeti GOBOX Collection

Southern Appalachian Bird on Pisgah NF

TrickyTross

Backpacked in with my buddies on the Thursday before Good Friday. Had picked a spot on the map and just went. Our colleague from down east joined us. Camped out and went after birds Friday morning. Heard one far off and they moved to get after it, I stayed where we went to listen and yelped and gobbled to try and draw the bird to them. 30 minutes later I heard 2 a fair piece aways from me, but even further from them. So I sent a text and let them know I was going after the birds. Found a spot and yelped and clucked periodically. Had one fire off behind me but he was in a different zip code. Then one just thundered off in front of me. I assumed he was about 150+ yards in some thickness. I yelped and he gobbled, a little closer. I yelped one last time and all I saw was his head over a knoll. He started strutting and then he realized there was no hen, so I put the bead where I could see him and squeezed the trigger. He took off flying and then nose-dove back to earth. I started celebrating and then I noticed something out of the corner of my eye.... that dang bird was limping off! I had to run him down and finish him off! His paintbrush beard measured 9-1/4", spurs where 7/8" and I think he weighed around 18lbs, but when I hauled him out, it might as well been 50lbs.... It was all that little ALPS could handle.image2.jpgTurkeyPack.jpgimage1.jpg

A buddy and I mention going up there every year, but end up hunting them in the piedmont or coast. You have me wishing I did this year now. Maybe next spring we'll drive up there for a few days to give it a try.

Nice bird!

A buddy and I mention going up there every year, but end up hunting them in the piedmont or coast. You have me wishing I did this year now. Maybe next spring we'll drive up there for a few days to give it a try.

Nice bird!

I highly recommend making the trip. But I'm kind of biased....

Congratulations on what sounds like a 2 year old bird. I was trout fishing Ashe county up near Mt. Jefferson last week and could hear them sounding off up on a ridge a good way off. Any game you can manage up in the laurels and rhododendron is well deserved.

Congratulations on what sounds like a 2 year old bird. I was trout fishing Ashe county up near Mt. Jefferson last week and could hear them sounding off up on a ridge a good way off. Any game you can manage up in the laurels and rhododendron is well deserved.

Yea, was a 2 year old. About as easy to kill as a jake! Some even say they are easier, but Ill take it!

Yea, was a 2 year old. About as easy to kill as a jake! Some even say they are easier, but Ill take it!

My last one was a 2 yr. old. He was hanging out with a longbeard and three hens out in the corner of a field. I had crawled through a screen of bushes there in the trees, assessed the situation and crawled back out of sight and set up a hen decoy where it could be seen from the edge of the field, got in position and made a few low yelps. Unknown to me they had crossed the corner of the field while I was crawling back and were along the left edge out of view when I started calling. The young bird came running up to check out the hen so I lowered the boom on him then as I was standing up the longbeard came running from behind a low hanging oak limb to see what the flopping was all about and I had to give him a pass due to our one bird per day rule. The entire operation only consumed about ten minutes and I was on the way back to the truck with my bird.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back