air or foam sleeping pad

MazzHunter

I'm planning my first back country hunting trip for 2017 and starting to accumulate gear.

I've been looking at sleeping pads and think the air mattress style would be better for me simply for comfort. However, I do see many of the TV show guys carry the Therm A Rest foam style pads. From what I see the foam pads have better R ratings over the air mattress, however, i just don't think they will be as comfortable. On the other hand the air mattresses tend to have very low R ratings.

Any comments and experience are appreciated and thanks in advance!!!!

I switched from a thermarest to a Klymit inflatable a couple years ago and haven't noticed much of a difference in warmth in summer/early fall.

It's exceedingly more comfortable, though. Especially when combined with a luxury lite cot which, IMO, is the best 2 extra pounds you can carry in the raft/backpack: https://www.thermarest.com/cots/ultralite-cot

I'm giving Hammock camping a shot this year since my daughter got me one for Xmas. I think for that, I'll use the thermarest.

I switched from a thermarest to a Klymit inflatable a couple years ago and haven't noticed much of a difference in warmth in summer/early fall.

I'm giving Hammock camping a shot this year since my daughter got me one for Xmas. I think for that, I'll use the thermarest.

I too switched from year's of Thermarests to a Klymit inflatable last year, and I am a believer. I don't have any experience on Klymit's durability, but I like the product so far.

CamoFire has the Klymit inflatables on every so often. I think they had them on earlier today.

I also got a hammock for Christmas, and am looking forward to trying it out.

Need to figure out what hammock harness to get.

(Somewhere, I stumbled across an entire message board/forum dedicated to sleeping in hammocks. The amount of detail there was overwhelming.)

I may have got a lemon but my Klymit's release valve didn't make it very long. It leaks air even when shut all the way. I still use it with some duct tape that I put over the valve after I blow it up and it actually holds pretty good. Need to replace the duct tape about every other time I use it.

I started with a pure foam thermarest. It keeps you alive. I now have one of the ~1 inch thick inflatables. Its much better. A friend gave my wife one of the new style of lightweight inflatable that's about 2.5 to 3 inches thick when inflated (yet 1/3 the size of mine when deflated) and made of a bunch of ~4" cells instead of bars of air. That thing is incredible. I can sleep on my side on it on a rock and don't feel a thing. I think her's is a Sea to Summit but I imagine its more about style than brand.

I always went with a foam pad because they are lighter, cheaper, and less bulky than thermarests. These Klymit pads are pretty interesting though.

You can also get an insulated air mattress, which depending on the foam thickness, may have an higher R value than foam.

I've been using a Nemo insulated air pad for the last few years. Before that I had Big Agnes insulated air core, comfortable, but not reliable, IMO. I Won't buy another one. They'd make it about 20-30 days and then would develop slow leaks due due to manufacturing defects in construction (weld between baffles would leak). Their customer service is awesome though, and they will replace no questions asked. Just got tired of replacing them and sleeping on the ground...

I usually have a 1/3 of a Thermarest z-rest pad with me (lesson learned with BA pads), for sitting/lounging, etc. I put it under my air pad for added protection. I've only popped one air pad out of countless days of sleeping on one in the last 15+ years, average maybe 35+/- nights a year on one. Had a sharp stick poke through in a floor-less tent. I had some tenacious tape along, problem solved.

I was looking at REI the other day, there seems to be a lot of new pads on the market. I'm due for a new one, my old one is growing mold inside it... my fault for not airing it out after my last trip.

I have a NeoAir Xlite by Thermarest...sounds like a rustling plastic bag every time I move but holds air real well and weighs hardly anything. Have used Big Agnes before but they seem to not hold up really well. I see a lot of buddies using Klymit so I'd probably suggest them.

I have a 3/4 length thermarest inflatable and usually put some clothes under my feet. This year, I'm going to cut a length from an old foam pad to use as a seat for glassing and then use it with my air mattress to sleep on. Either way, id probably get an air mattress unless its really cold. In that case, I have combined foam and air mattress and that seems to work well for warmth.

I too switched from year's of Thermarests to a Klymit inflatable last year, and I am a believer. I don't have any experience on Klymit's durability, but I like the product so far.

I've put mine through some decent abuse and it has held up well so far. I got the same one for my daughter (also on Camofire) when she went to Peru this December and trekked the Inca trail for a class and after a few weeks there mostly getting thrown right onto the rocks and dirt it didn't have a blemish on it. As noted down thread, I've heard rumors of the valves leaking prematurely, but mine has been good.

(Somewhere, I stumbled across an entire message board/forum dedicated to sleeping in hammocks. The amount of detail there was overwhelming.)

I stumbled on more than one of those forums whilst googling 'Hammock Elk Hunting' - it is more information on sleeping than I ever thought possible. Wool under-blankets, different riggings, all kinds of crazy stuff. I have only tried it between our two backyard ponderosas with the standard rig it comes with and it was very comfortable and went up in about 2 minutes.

I am also repurposing an old mountaineering tent fly to rig over it instead of buying the 'custom hammock' fly and it seems like it will work well after some reshaping with gorilla tape. I like that the hammock, fly, pad, sleeping bag and jetboil will fit in a daypack if need be.

Before that I had Big Agnes insulated air core, comfortable, but not reliable, IMO. I Won't buy another one. They'd make it about 20-30 days and then would develop slow leaks due due to manufacturing defects in construction (weld between baffles would leak).

I have this pad and have the exact same problem. It's also really loud if you roll around much, gets annoying for your hunting buddies. Unfortunate as I had high hopes for that pad.

I have a NeoAir Xlite by Thermarest...sounds like a rustling plastic bag every time I move but holds air real well and weighs hardly anything.

Me too. Mine has been flawless and love how it slides perfectly in my bivy. Nothing worse than waking up with your shoulder/hips penetrating the ground and your feet are the only thing on the pad!

I just purchased the neoair xlite as well can't wa to use it.

On another note just got a new quilt from enlightened equipment, 10 degrees, extra long, wide. 26oz. Can't wait to try it.

I've had the neoair several years. It hasn't leaked and is comfortable. They make mummy versions that would save a few ounces.

My current pillow is thermarest compressible. It's OK but it's bulky. You have to work to get it fully expanded. An air pillow will take less room in my pack and will always be fully expanded, unless it leaks.

I misunderstood... you're still going to use your neoair but are going to add an "air" pillow instead of a compression pillow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back