Caribou Gear Tarp

SD West River Special Buck - HELP

Mallardsx2

My wife and I have 2 preference points each for the West River Special Buck Permit. We are looking at hunting in 2018 and I have begun doing some research.

Admittedly, I got confused and didn't realize that this is for, literally PRIVATE LAND ONLY.

I had though that I could hunt the CHAP and Other Private Lands in that area open to hunting but I was told by the State that this is not possible because it is enrolled in a program and is not truly "Private".

So it looks like I am really screwed here.

I have looked into possibly leasing something in the area but there isn't much available from the looks of things.

Does anyone on here have a contact in that area that would allow access for a trespass fee??

Any help Via PM would be greatly appreciated and kept confidential.

I have zero help for you except this: knock on some doors and ask politely. Offer to help around the yard if your comfortable with that. Be nice. You'll get 100 doors slammed in your face but #101 might let you on. It's old fashioned, but it still works occasionally. Good luck.

I can't help you, but I can thank you because I just bought my second West River Special Buck point and did not bother to check that it was for private land only! I'd have been in the same boat as you, only with a lot more points. I don't have any plans on hunting SD in the next 5 or 6 years so I have time to make up for my mistake, thanks to you. Good luck, sometimes these things turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

I dont think there was a box to check.

The only Preference point available right now is: WEST RIVER SPECIAL BUCK.

You need a West River Deer if you want to hunt public land no?

I might be able to help you get in touch with some ranchers. Are you looking for Mule Deer or Whitetail or does it matter? What is your price range? A silly question for you but when you applied for your West River Special Buck application/preference point who did you put down for the landowner contact information? That is required on the application.

We don't care if we hunt Whitetails or Mule Deer. We are just looking to have a good time.

I didn't get the tag yet. I applied for West River Special Buck Preference Points. We each have two of them.

As far as how much I want to spend I really dont know. I have never paid to hunt deer before.

If Dakota79 is willing to help you I would take him up on it. I know of one guy that would rent you his cabin and possibly let you hunt his ranch. Other than that the ranchers in that area have been burned one to many times to just let anyone hunt for free. I am lucky to have a friend that allows me to hunt his ranch in that area. There are some good muley and whitetails in that country, just ate some muley steaks last night from there.

I understand you do not have the tag yet, but when you apply for a preference point you still have to put down the landowners information that you plan on hunting with when you apply for a West River Special Buck Preference Point. I'm just trying to make sure we are all on the same page and you do have the West River Special Buck Preference Point instead of The General Season Preference Point.When you apply for the General Season Preference Point you do not have to put down for the landowners information.

We don't care if we hunt Whitetails or Mule Deer. We are just looking to have a good time.

I didn't get the tag yet. I applied for West River Special Buck Preference Points. We each have two of them.

As far as how much I want to spend I really dont know. I have never paid to hunt deer before.

I just applied for a West River Special Buck point yesterday (mistakenly like the original poster) and did not have to include any landowner information. Perhaps it's different for NR?

I put in for the special buck and have never had to put the landowners name for a preference point. I have not tried to draw yet because I have always had enough points for the general draw. If you don't care about whitetail or muley then on the general draw put in for whitetail only and you will draw every time 0 points. Every one wants the any deer tag so they always will put the whitetail only as their second choice.

That's really weird because I just went to the application again for the West River Special Buck preference point and below is one of the steps.

Special Buck Landowner Information
You must include the name and phone number of a landowner
who has given you permission to hunt for the season you are
applying for.

Landowner First Name:
Landowner Last Name:
Landowner Phone Number:

Are you a resident? I will put in for it tomorrow and see but I have not had to in the past.

I guess I don't know then. I copied it straight out of the application. I just must be messed up.

Dakota79 I bet it is because you're a resident. I know that makes things different on some online criteria. I still need to put in for my point tomorrow. I let you know if it asks for landowners information.

I e-mailed a director at the game and finish and below is his reply.

When applying for Special Buck licenses – yes, the applicant is supposed to list a landowner they have permission on. This was requested by many landowners to provide some means of preventing people who had no place to hunt from trespassing when they got the tag. The real question here is “does gfp check all the applications to insure the landowner info listed is accurate?” The answer is no, we simply don’t have enough staff to follow up on all these but we do conduct a spot check and certainly investigate anyone we get info on. Not listing a landowner – should get you kicked out of the application process.

I don't think you understand. There is not even a spot for us to list a landowner.

If you go on Bowsite there is a member there who guides on his ranch in Harding County. Search YouTube for "Archery South Dakota Deer" and he has some videos there. I can look later to find his name if you can't.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back