Basic Layering System

Wisco

After looking through a good chunk of old posts, on multiple forums, I wasn't able to settle on an answer that fit my needs. Looking to build my gear for my first elk hunt in NM or CO this fall. Going archery but hope to be back every year so will likely end up hunting all seasons eventually. What are people's thoughts on a good, basic layering system, including brands? I'm already spending a lot of money on other gear so I'm not trying to build the perfect system just something that can help me get started.

From what I can gather, my two most important needs in gear are a good merino base and something that can fight the rain. I'm thinking I'll pass on the puffy and mid layers this time around and make do with what I've got on hand.

Merino: Pretty much settled on First Lite. Llano 170g or the Chama 230. Thoughts?

Outer Layer: Currently leaning towards Sitka Mountain or Timberline pants and jacket. How well do they handle the rain? I'm certainly open to other brands (likely won't bother with KUIU though).

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Here is my setup from last season probably 20+days in it... I hunted bears in April-June then Sept-November (coldest day was actually up on the continental divide in sept)

I pretty much carry eventhing on the list with me at all time aside from switching up the pants. I wore everything at times in both May and Sept when crazy snow storms blew in and then wore everything layered up again in November when it was -10. Never had a problem being too hot or cold.

Base- firstlite llano 170g crew(fusion) sale $50
Middle Chama 230g hoody(fusion) ebay $85
Insulating layer- Outdoor research 650 down Transcendent jacket (dark green solid) gift
Shell/rainjacket/top layer- Arcteryx, Beta LT Hybrid (brown solid) rei garage sale $85 A good rain jacket is key for backpack hunting sucks to be soaked and if you are out all day in the rain a soft shell with DWR wont cut it. Camo raingear also isn't that important in my opinion you likely will never stalk in it... or will be wearing it in late rifle when camo doesn't matter.

Early season pants- Sitka Assent ebay $90
Late Season- Kuiu Guide
Rain Paints - Sitka Downpour ebay $100

Early Season Gloves - Camo mountain bike gloves $15
Late Season- Swany Tosters

Boots- schnees grainte uninsulated
Gators- Kuiu

Hats- One bassball and one merino stalking camp

Last edited:
I really like the Merlino wool mid layers but with having 4 children under the age of 10 my budget cannot afford the high dollar stuff.

I have purchased 100% Italian Merlino wool sweaters off of Ebay for under 20 bucks. Olive in color and they work great. Spent 4 days up in the Pecos wilderness early October and after 41 miles of hiking and bringing a bull down, the wool still smelled fresh and I never got cold. My hunting partner teased me that I was probably the only one in NM that shot a bull while wearing an italian made sweater!!! LOL...

I've done a few fun run type 5k events. Seems they all involve some sort of tech T. I layer 2-3 of them bad boys up depending on the expected weather and top it off with a camo layer (LS Under Armor tech shirt), and I'm good to go. Pants are typically a Core4Element bought off of Camofire, or if I'm feeling skinny a pair of Under Armor pants I bought 15 years ago in college!

I've got camo thats easily 25 years old that I wear every year. Just can't bring myself to spend the money on the high dollar stuff.

Rain gear is a Healy Hansen olive green rubber suit. Again easily 15 years old and bomb proof.

Point is, use what you got and don't sweat it if you don't have the latest and greatest $500 outfit.

Black Ovis 190 long sleeve Merino is $35 on camofire. Elevation Down jacket was $75. Core4 soft shell jacket is on there now for $50.

Icebreaker occasionally has clearance mossy oak merino for cheap. I got tshirts for as low as $20 and mid layers for as low as $35.

I like first lite softshell pants in warm weather. Good for rain and heat. I carry a light down puffy and merino cap for early mornings. Ball cap for afternoons. And ultralight rain gear which is noisy but effective. I wear merino boxers. And I carry a UL dry bag to wash clothes on a sunny day.

If you're doing CO and NM Archery, I would look at the Minaret top from first lite instead of the Llano. Both are good but the Minaret is lighter and seems like it dries faster. The Mountain pants are a good all around pant. A little on the heavy side for early season stuff. I wear the FL Kanab pant until a decent amount of snow flies then go for the Mountain pant. I think the Timberline will likely be too heavy for early season.

Thanks for all the advice guys! Only problem is you all said different things so I'm still unsure what to think... lol. What it sounds like is I don't need to be dropping top dollar for my whole system.

I think I'll probably still go with FL merino. I've seen so many ecstatic reviews on it and it seems like everyone can agree they're the best (at least form what I read). I just bought a black ovis top on camofire as a backup, or maybe a starter if I'm impressed.

Still not completely sold on spending the money for Sitka but I'm thinking I might stick with something like the mountain pant and jacket for every day use. And then find a cheaper rain setup to at least get me through some downpours but that might not be the most ideal to hunt in.

Last edited:
Wisco- Though far from fancy or cutting edge, I have yet to get wet through my Red Ledge or REI branded rain wear. They are a touch noisy, but work very well and are priced extremely well. Any rain jacket, for me, has to have pit zips, and I prefer a removable hood. With rain pants, I strongly prefer a full, hip to ankle, zipper. For a lot of the places I spend time out west in I'm convinced I over think rain gear.

I don't think you need to break the bank on your clothing, but I would say when you do buy get quality stuff so you don't have to immediately replace it.

I haven't paid full price for anything in my kit I just periodically check ebay, black ovis, retail store sales, tag soup sale, ect. throughout the year.

LA I was planning on my merino being my next to skin layer so hopefully I find it comfortable.

And sounds good 1_pointer, I'll take a look at some of those. It seems like people are saying to not get caught up in the rain gear as much. Might be noisy but so is the rain. The more important thing is to stay dry and I can't imagine there are many articles that can keep you dry through a storm and stay quiet in the stalk all while breathing so you don't sweat to death. So I'll shoot for the less quiet, but cheaper article that can keep me dry and in the field.

Wisco, I hope that works for you. When I start sweating, even the Merino wool causes some discomfort (itching), to me anyway. I wear the layer under the Merino and it prevents itching. Most folks don't have that problem, that's why Merino is preferred over regular wool.

Here is my cheap but good list.

Base layer - First light aero wool (camofire)

Mid layer top - Under armor hoodie(good weather) or any wool sweater (bad weather)

Outside pant - https://www.costco.com/BC-Clothing-Men’s-Convertible-Pant-with-Stretch.product.100313737.html (good weather), Russian surplus wool (bad weather)

Outside - Down puffy (700 to 900 fill power, North face, marmot, ect)

Rain gear - http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...ull-Zip-Jacket-with-MOST-DRY-PLUS/1618370.uts

The beauty of this system well besides being cheep is that the down puffy and rain gear weigh very little and pack very small. So you never feel the desire to leave them at the truck.
Picture yourself leaving the truck in the middle of a 90° September day and saying Ill just go lite, I'll be back in a few hrs. Then the next thing you know you find a big bull 5 mi from the truck. Suddenly from over the hill a monsoon of a thunderstorm hits you and the temps drop into the 30s right before dark. This happens a lot.

Anybody use non camo? Like Ibex, Royal Robbins, or the black ovis stuff? Seems to be a lot cheaper and more often on sale.

I have both FirstLite and other makers and for the most part... merino wool, is merino wool! I LOVE my 100% merino wool base layer that I got SUPER cheap off Amazon! Made by a company called Minus33. Like $29.99 a piece!

Thanks for all the advice guys! Only problem is you all said different things so I'm still unsure what to think... lol. What it sounds like is I don't need to be dropping top dollar for my whole system.

I think I'll probably still go with FL merino. I've seen so many ecstatic reviews on it and it seems like everyone can agree they're the best (at least form what I read). I just bought a black ovis top on camofire as a backup, or maybe a starter if I'm impressed.

Still not completely sold on spending the money for Sitka but I'm thinking I might stick with something like the mountain pant and jacket for every day use. And then find a cheaper rain setup to at least get me through some downpours but that might not be the most ideal to hunt in.

Glad to see I'm not the only mix&matcher nor deal seeker.
My list is similar to elkmagnets with some switches.
Base-Merino or Capaline, I hunt Late Sept./Oct-Dec.
Pants-Microsoft Cabellas. Wool for later & several from military surplus to Woolrich etc.
Shirts-Microsoft or Kings.Really like the Kings. Wool later.
Mid layer- Fleece,stuff is great from warm days to dead of winter.Patagonia to REI & Cabellas Berber fleece vest ,jacket w/windshear &windshear pants. Cabellas. Been in some real bad winds & stayed warm.
Main Jacket-Kings Mtn Parka,removeable liner,another mid-layer.
Later-Wool sweaters,of which I have many.I have some down vests , jackets & parkas.
Rain/snow- Rain suede, most of the time. Cheap ,quiet,quick drying,rugged. Gander Mtn.waterfowl Parka if it gets real bad & over down.But a bit noisy.

Would like to try Sitka Mtn pants. Maybe a similar light shirt/jacket.
In NM you can go from 80 & humid to monsoon downpours to 20 deg. snow ,in an afternoon. And it is rugged, pokey, rippy, windy country.

Last edited:
I used the Sitka Mountain and Timberline pants the last two years. Awesome. Simply awesome. It is like hunting in your pajamas. No wear at all after 2 seasons. My 2 hunting buddies feel the same way. Merino base layers are merino base layers in my opinion. Love them, but brand is not that important.

I will throw one thing in...I love a vest. I always have a vest on or in my bag.

(likely won't bother with KUIU though).
Mind if I ask why the pass on KUIU? The guy that started Sitka sold it and started KUIU. Anyway just wondering because I am happy with KUIU. I use a lot of Firstlite too, there are somethings one company does a bit better than the other but they both have great gear.

(likely won't bother with KUIU though).
Mind if I ask why the pass on KUIU? The guy that started Sitka sold it and started KUIU. Anyway just wondering because I am happy with KUIU. I use a lot of Firstlite too, there are somethings one company does a bit better than the other but they both have great gear.

You weren't asking me but I know a few choose to avoid kiui due to their political bedfellows with some who are bad for the average hunter.
https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?266974-KUIU-and-Peay-SFW

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back