Montana Elk/Deer Combo Advice

huntertx

Big fan of the site and Fin's show (I think I watched every episode available in a one month span). I found the site last year and have been following ever since. First time posting.

We (Me, my dad, and brother-in-law) have a Montana hunt planned for this fall. We plan on hunting general units as we applied for the elite permit units in order to build points. We planned to hunt with one of my dad’s coworkers (a MT resident), but he is no longer able to go, so we are on our own. I’m not asking for anyone’s honey hole but any guidance would be much appreciated as none of us have hunted Montana before.

I will have an elk tag, my dad a deer tag, and my brother-in-law a big game combo. We are looking for a general unit where we would have a reasonable opportunity to take both mule deer and elk (preference to elk). I have found several general units that seem to be strong for elk or deer but not both. We won't be holding out for trophies as we are more focused on learning and getting representative animals for the area.

By way of background we have been hunting our whole lives in Texas but are new to western hunting (only one previous elk trip for each of us). We want to hunt hard and learn as much as we can. If we were able to be picky, we would prefer more open country because we hunt the thick piney woods of east Texas.

Thanks in advance.

1. Search the threads here. This has been asked a lot, and there's some good info in those threads.
2. Get OnXMaps. Get a GPS. Learn to use both. Also pick up a Gazeteer.
3. Montana has man private lands that are opened up to public use, they are called Block Management Areas. FWP has a book with all of these usually available mid August.
4. Get in shape now.
5. Western MT is full of mountains, Eastern MT is flatter (not flat) with more coulees and draws, etc. Both are very different experiences.
6. Look for OTC doe tags as well. Cheap and easy meat.
7. When you find a specific area you want to hunt, ask for PM for more info on those areas.

Thanks for the advice. I definitely will get OnXMaps. I've heard nothing but good things about the product. As far as training goes, we are already starting, so hopefully we will be ready to go come October.

We have decided to go with SW Montana, specifically South of Ennis. Haven't nailed down specific location yet. Everything I read says lots of hunters, but lots of elk too.

South of Ennis is a good place to start for elk. Understand the mule deer hunting is nothing special, and depending on the unit may be a limited entry permit.

And yes, there will be lots of hunters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back