Unit 55 Colorado

Tbeak

Thinking about going here this year. Have heard about Taylor park and crested butte.

Anyone have ideas about terrain and habitat? I don't want to know your spots this is just my second year elk hunting so I'm a NEWB.

any help is greatly appreciated

What season are you planning and resident or not? Over the counter tags in some of the gun seasons for residents. It has been years since I've hunted there, but it was crowded in those days. Fine country. Elk could be above timberline early, which means high altitude.

I guess that woulda been good to say what season. I'm planning muzzleloader. I'm a resident and plan on doing otc rifle this year as well if muzzleload doesn't pan out.

Any benefits to the east side vs west side of the unit?

Yelp it's the atv capital of the world! I would stay away from Creste butte area in my opinion. It's too touristy and PPl out on the atv roads etc. But taylor park is the same way. I've hunted it twice abd there are elk but u will def work for them. Very high altitude hunt Id day for muzzle loader the elk will be at least 10k plus and closer to 11-12k

I am heading to 55 for rifle elk for the first time this season. I am going with a friend who has hunted it in the past so I am going to be learning myself. Good luck

I guess that woulda been good to say what season. I'm planning muzzleloader. I'm a resident and plan on doing otc rifle this year as well if muzzleload doesn't pan out.

Any benefits to the east side vs west side of the unit?

Um... no your not all 55 Tags are type A... you legally can only hunt 1 A tag a season
license.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm interesting

Just spoke with cpwd, dang it. Messed up my plan. But basically I need to get the leftover and pick a B hunt. Easy fix but not what I wanted.

Last edited:
Thomas11, we are also planning 3rd season riffle hunt in the gunnison area. We just got back from out first trip to kinda check things out. We are planning on going once more and then arrive a couple days before season to get some good scouting in. It will be my first hunt without some one experienced and my buddies first elk hunt ever. You mentioned "stay away from Creste Butte" because it "touristy", do you know much about the mt axel/carbon peak area? Is it just as crowded? We had it circled on our map to look into.

Any one else with some advice would be much appreciated.

Just FYI that area got hammered with snow this winter..... I know they are cutting deer licenses by up to 85% around Gunnison.

Thomas11, we are also planning 3rd season riffle hunt in the gunnison area. We just got back from out first trip to kinda check things out. We are planning on going once more and then arrive a couple days before season to get some good scouting in. It will be my first hunt without some one experienced and my buddies first elk hunt ever. You mentioned "stay away from Creste Butte" because it "touristy", do you know much about the mt axel/carbon peak area? Is it just as crowded? We had it circled on our map to look into.

Any one else with some advice would be much appreciated.

Pretty much anywhere in that area, that is within a couple miles of a road, will likely have other hunters around. You are not apt to find solitude there, but there are elk in there.

Pretty much anywhere in that area, that is within a couple miles of a road, will likely have other hunters around. You are not apt to find solitude there, but there are elk in there.

Thanks, yeah we planned on there being quit a bit of hunting pressure so we've been looking high and as far away as possible from roads and trails. hard to do in this area though, there are a lot of roads and trails in unit 54 and 55.

I've hunted there a couple times once archery and once rifle. I would consider archery and muzzleloader but don't think I'd go rifle again. Too many people and atv's running damn near around the clock. Beautiful area though. You will have to get far off the beaten path. During my archery hunt we got into elk on the backside of American Flag as well as in between South Matchless and Baldy Mountains.

Thanks, yeah we planned on there being quit a bit of hunting pressure so we've been looking high and as far away as possible from roads and trails. hard to do in this area though, there are a lot of roads and trails in unit 54 and 55.

And if you get too far in, you'll run into the outfitters. But, there are some nice, elky spots where you can ditch alot of the crowd, if you're in very good shape and well acclimated (West Elk Creek Canyon, for instance).

And if you get too far in, you'll run into the outfitters. But, there are some nice, elky spots where you can ditch alot of the crowd, if you're in very good shape and well acclimated (West Elk Creek Canyon, for instance).

We talked to CPAW and they said that exact thing. The farther you hike in the more chance you have of running into outfitters on horseback. Thanks for the advice. We have a couple spots around American Flag and Boston Peak but it all depends on if the roads are closed to atv's or not. The spots we have picked out are 2-3 miles back in there but if the roads are not closed were screwed. I need to call the forest service on a couple of them.

More than likely the roads will be open. Been awhile since looking at the motor use plan but no closures I can remember up there. Fossil gets hammered depending on where you choose access it. Locals give it a wide berth for the most part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jacolleen
Back