Buying A Used Weatherby

SDS14

Hello Folks,

The other day I came a cross a beautiful Weatherby Mark V .300 WBY MAG, Left Handed bolt action rifle for $1000 at a local gun store in Utah. I am a big Weatherby fan, but have never bought a used firearm before. I am very left hand dominant and I have hand a hard time finding left handed rifles.

I honestly don't know what to look for when it comes to buying used rifles. There is not a single scratch on the wood stock, the barrel looks good, rifling looks good, and the I feel like the price is fair.

I was hoping some of you rifle geniuses can give me a few pointers to look for when buying a used firearm. What to look for/ what to avoid? Is the price fair?

Thanks for your help.
-SDS14

That's about it, other than maybe asking if you could dry fire the gun just to get a feel of the trigger to make sure there is nothing funky going on there. Check it over the best you can. You obviously have some experience with rifles so you know generally how they should work and feel.

Ask the shop if their guns are checked by a gunsmith, test fired for function, and whether or not they offer any form of warranty. These aren't deal breakers if they don't do those things per se (IMO) but may give you a better peace of mind if they do. I'm no expert on Weatherby rifles, and it's hard to say without knowing the particular model/variant of mark V it is, but $1000 seems reasonable from what I know of them.

Last edited:
Is it a deluxe, age, rounds, muzzle break? Does the shop have a bore scope? Will they entertain offers?

The MarK V wood/blue is a striking piece of work.

If you're not sold on that particular gun or caliber, a buddy of mine is moving a few of his lefty bolt actions.

To answer your question, not much you can do past what you've done. While Weatherby doesn't have an official warranty, they say they stand behind their products. If the gun is clean overall there is a good chance it probably wasn't used much and there won't be any issues with it.

I've bought lots of used guns and have yet to regret a single one of them. You can always get your money back out of a used rifle.

Some calibers you'll want to be wary of it being shot out, but a 300WB probably is not one of those calibers. Think varmint calibers in that instance.

Beyond what you've already done, not much else you can do.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Pull the bolt out and look down the barrel. No obvious pitting, etc and you should be good. I own two lefty WBYs, one in .300. Fine rifles.

Check the muzzle for copper fouling if you haven't yet. Sounds like you've done your homework and that is definitely a nice rifle.

Hello Folks,

The other day I came a cross a beautiful Weatherby Mark V .300 WBY MAG, Left Handed bolt action rifle for $1000 at a local gun store in Utah. I am a big Weatherby fan, but have never bought a used firearm before. I am very left hand dominant and I have hand a hard time finding left handed rifles.

I honestly don't know what to look for when it comes to buying used rifles. There is not a single scratch on the wood stock, the barrel looks good, rifling looks good, and the I feel like the price is fair.

I was hoping some of you rifle geniuses can give me a few pointers to look for when buying a used firearm. What to look for/ what to avoid? Is the price fair?

Thanks for your help.
-SDS14
There are always potential problems when purchasing a used firearm, including the Weatherby Mark V. If you're willing to compromise and 'make the adjustment' to a right hand bolt action, Sportsman's Warehouse is currently selling brand new Weatherby Mark V Weathermark models in either .340 or .300 calibers for $1199.97. The Mark V Weathermark comes with a grey cerakote, a Bell and Carlson lightweight synthetic stock( black with grey webbing) and the LXXTM trigger. For the additional $200, in my opinion, you're getting more value for your money.

Last edited:
There are always potential problems when purchasing a used firearm, including the Weatherby Mark V. If you're willing to compromise and 'make the adjustment' to a right hand bolt action, Sportsman's Warehouse is currently selling brand new Weatherby Mark V Weathermark models in either .340 or .300 calibers for $1199.97. The Mark V Weathermark comes with a grey cerakote, a Bell and Carlson lightweight synthetic stock( black with grey webbing) and the LXXTM trigger. For the additional $200, in my opinion, you're getting more value for your money.
That's exactly what I was thinking. A thousand for a used Weatherby is a bit much. $800 or $900 maybe. I'd rather have the new Weathermark for $200 more.

That's exactly what I was thinking. A thousand for a used Weatherby is a bit much. $800 or $900 maybe. I'd rather have the new Weathermark for $200 more.
Lefthanded shooters are forced to play by a bit different set of rules. I greatly realized this once I had 2 boys that are being taught to shoot LH due to eye-dominance. Overpriced for a RH rifle may very well be a deal for a LH one due to scarcity.

I bought a used 300 Weatherby Vanguard and after replacing a crappy trigger with a 5 minute Tunney install it shoots extremely well, the biggest bargain in my gun safe.

Lefthanded shooters are forced to play by a bit different set of rules. I greatly realized this once I had 2 boys that are being taught to shoot LH due to eye-dominance. Overpriced for a RH rifle may very well be a deal for a LH one due to scarcity.

Oh, I forgot that it was a left-hand version. The used left-hand rifles around these parts tend to gather dust while sitting around for months. The LGS usually drops the price several times before they finally leave the place.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back