Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

7mm-08(HT) vs 308

MJE2083

I know this topic has been touched on before but I wanted to get some fresh prospective.

My wife has recently expressed some interest in big game hunting. She hunted small game for the first time this past season with a 20ga benelli.
I'm trying to find an appropriate caliber that would be used primarily for white tail deer, but would also have the capability of making a clean kill on elk.

My question is essentially what is the difference between recoil 308 vs 7mm-08 in a lighter weight rifle?
She has handled a few rifles and seems to really want something light weight (6lb range). She really likes the Browning Xbolt Micro Midas and the Kimber Montana. Unfortunately she did not like Howa or Tikka.

My concern is this: I know in the past when we first started dating, she had won a Savage 11 in 308 at a gun bash. Shot it 1 time and said the recoil was too much for her and promptly sold the gun. I'm concerned that 7mm-08 in a light rifle is going to be equal to her experience with that 308 Savage rifle. She has 2 heavy varmint rifles that she shoots regularly with no problem a Remington SPS varmint 223 and a Ruger No. 1 in 220 swift.

I've never shot a 7mm-08, is the recoil really that much less than a 308? or should I be looking at something in maybe the 6.5mm range?

Kimber's are ridiculously light. But some come with muzzle brakes that should help. Some Brownings come with muzzle brakes but they are heavier.

Stock fit is probably more important than measurable recoil. The same 7-08 load will feel different to the shooter in guns of the same weight with different stocks. The gunwriter, John Barsness, who's wife hunts (and also writes) has written a few articles and posts on another board about the fit differences between men and women. Women have narrower shoulders, longer necks, and boobs; all of which affect stock fit. His suggestions for women are firearms designed for women and also mentions that the Monte Carlo style stocks seem to fit them better. I'd be sure to check out the Savage Lady Hunter and Weatherby Vanguard Camilla. If you really want a synthetic stock, I'd give the Weatherby Vanguard and Tikka Adjustable a look see.

If you don't handload, this would be a good reason to start. It allows you to tailor loads to her tolerance, even if just for practice. With my kids, the noise bothers them more than the physical recoil and I assume that's true with many inexperienced shooters. So be sure to have good hearing protection.

Recoil will be very similar between the 2. Savage has some of the poorest designed stocks on the market. They all kick hard.

All those light weight rifles will pack some punch on the user end. a muzzle break will help a ton though but they are loud. A suppressor will help with both. (had to add that for MT muley:cool:)

I think 1_pointer hit it best, stock differences and fit will make a bigger difference. I can tell the difference between a REM Model 7 and a Kimber 84, both in 7mm-08.

Thanks guy. If/when we do decide to take the plunge a muzzle break may be a consideration, at least for range sessions. I'm certainly not a fan of how loud they are personally. Neither her nor I have any desire to drop the money and go through the hassles of a suppressor at this time. I may have to get her hands on some of these "woman" rifles next time we are out and about looking at guns(why don't they make a synthetic stock?!?)

She has done a good bit of shooting in the past so I don't see the noise being a problem. I do reload (I need another caliber to mess with like a need a hole in the head)

MJE,

I have taken Elk with both a 7-08 and a .308. Both do the job well. I started shooting a Rem M7 youth in 7-08 at the age of 12. That was a fairly light rifle, and the recoil was managable for my younger self. Caldwell among others also make recoil "shields" specifically for women that are like a quilted cloth pad that can be worn on the shoulder. That may also be an option for cutting recoil at the range. I also agree that stock fit is more important than the physical recoil between those two calibers. Find a rifle that fits her well, and she is comfortable with, that may help sort out what caliber to get the rifle in. I'd venture that either caliber would be doable if the rifle fits her well.

I wouldn't brake a 7mm-08 even for a kid, they just don't kick that bad with 120s or 140s and a reasonable load. It should cost about $100 to have the stock fit to her with the addition of a good recoil pad like a Limbsaver. Then consider using double hearing protection (in the ear canal + muffs) at the range - I've noticed that "percieved" recoil and the subsequent bad shooting habits can have a lot to do with muzzle blast even for myself.

A couple things, but if you reload, you'll find the 7-08 really easy to load for I think. I haven't had any trouble finding loads that shot very well in all 3 of the ones I've loaded for.

Also my nephew is pretty small for 12 years old, and he handles the recoil of his youth model 700 Remington just fine. His has a 20" barrel and is pretty light.

I did start him out shooting the 120 grain nosler ballistic tip with a starting load of H380, recoil is pretty mild, very close to 100 grain .243/6mm. The 120's seem to work great at the modest velocity of 2825, hold together well, penetrate well, etc.

Its been so long since I shot a 308, I don't really know if the recoil is that much worse, but would probably be more than the 7-08 most likely.

Others have given good advice on stock fit, etc.

My wife is small. She picked out a Browning X-Bolt, Micro Midas a few years ago in 7mm-08. We had a gunsmith cut it down a bit and fit the stock to her. She uses factory 140 gr. Federal Fusions for Whitetails, and Federal 140 gr. Nosler Partitions for elk. She has taken both species without issues.

I handload reduced recoil loads for the 7mm-08 for my boys using H4895. Works very well. I had my 8 year old boys on it recently. They had a blast.

My buddy's 15-year-old daughter shoots a .308 just fine. They are both great calibers and they both are going to kick. Get her a good pad and shoot lighter bullets and reduced loads if you can find them. There is no free lunch in big game rifles.

I've always felt that most Savages kick much harder than most other rifles. That said my 13 year old daughter shoots a Savage in 7mm-08 that I've modified. Put on a thick Hi-viz pad, cut the stock to fit, put a long medium contour barrel on, modified the trigger and bedded the action. The biggest thing though was hand loading bullets. For target practice/medium game I load 120gr Sierras to moderate velocities. A couple of years ago, I ended up shooting an antelope with her rifle shooting those 120 grainers. The animal was 150 yards out and I was shooting off of a bipod. The recoil was so mild I watched the buck drop in the scope. So she practices with this load, if we go elk or bear hunting I'll load up some 140-150 grain bullets and sight the gun in with those for her.

If you don't hand load look at a gun like the Steyr Pro Hunter in 7mm-08. I have one in 308 win and it is a very smooth shooting, accurate gun with very little recoil. It may look a little funny but the stock design works very well and is adjustable for length of pull.

when it comes to recoil, stock fit is very important, a poorly designed stock will send shock waves through your body from relatively light cartridges and create bad habits, replacing and or modifying a stock can earn large dividends to taming recoil and good shooting habits. that being said, if you read through some of the posts on here, you will see that the 7mm-08 is a very popular and potent cartridge when it comes to elk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back