HB288 Wyoming fee increases

BuzzH

Update on this bill is that it passed and creates a fee increase across the board for both NR and R hunting, fishing, trapping licenses:

This bill was a real roller-coaster and we sort of new from the start we were going to take it in the teeth. The trouble with the Legislature meddling.

Normally, I'm all about fee increases because it will raise revenue for the GF, but in the case of this bill in its final form, I'm very unhappy. Not because of the fee increase, only because it doesn't raise GF revenue, and in fact, may ultimately reduce the GF budget.

Making sense yet?

Here are the details how this cluster-shag happened.

The original form of the bill would have increased license fee's to what you see here, PLUS gave the GF commission the authority to raise fees up to the CPI yearly. The commission authority and CPI were stripped from the bill almost immediately, the Legislature hides under the covers every time any authority for fee increases is recommended to the commission. They say they want an "independent" department budget, but are unwilling to allow the commission the mechanism to fund themselves.

About this time we found out from the GF department, as well as several Legislators, that there was a footnote to HB288 that was tied to the general fund budget. So, what that meant was, if the fee increase bill passed (which it did), then that would trigger removing 5-6 million of funding the GF has been receiving from the general fund. If the bill didn't pass, then the GF would retain the general fund money and current over-all funding.

Anyway, Senator Hicks tried to amend the bill, and we came close to getting it done. His amendment made good sense, it would have done away with the tiered license fee structure for NR and sort of split the difference between the 2 price fees. This would have resulted in a net funding increase in the neighborhood of 2.7 million. WYBHA as well as WYSA supported the Hicks amendment. It died on third reading by a close vote.

Once the amendment that Hicks recommended was gone, Wyoming BHA opposed the bill, and the reason is in the bolded part. I'm not willing to allow anyone (NR or R) to pay more for the same or less funding to the GF...in particular when killing the bill would not cost the GF the general fund money.

However, what I found interesting is that several of the Senators that I emailed yesterday, opposing this bill and asking them to kill it, had no idea that the bill was tied to the general fund budget. Troubling to say the least, a case of, "we have to pass it, to see what's in it" apparently. Even though I explained exactly how this bill would not result in a net gain in revenue to the department, some still didn't seem able to grasp the obvious of what was happening. Something that we saw once we learned about the bill footnote.

The result of these fee increases, at best, is going to be a complete wash to the Department budget wise. The legislature stripped 5-6 million of general fund money from the department, and we all get to pay more for the same level of GF funding.

In other words, we got screwed...warning to other states that if you see a GF funding bill tied to a general fund, go full out kill on sight on any such bill.

Here are some notables on the fee increases.

NR elk $690
NR deer $372
NR pronghorn $324

Special NR

Elk $1266 (making this I believe the most expensive NR elk tag in the country)
deer $660
pronghorn $612

Sheep $2318, bison any $4400, cow $2750

Preference points for elk, deer, pronghorn can now be up to $75/each
Preference points for sheep/moose can now be up to $150 each

NR archery license $70.

Resident fees, hardly worth mentioning a few dollars here and there.

Full details here:

http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2017/Engross/HB0288.pdf

Can't tell you how sad all of that is to read. Especially for a NR that just got started last year applying in WY.. Just the fact of spending $75 each for preference points is rough but knowing it is decreasing the funding to G &F hurts even more.

Thanks for keeping us updated Buzz

An easier way to say it, is that the fee increases are going to the State general fund instead of to support Game & Fish. Disappointing.

Wow, any bison will be $4400. Does that include the cow/calf option? If so, that tag will probably be much easier to draw. Glad I applied for it this year at a little over $1000.

Never mind, saw $2750 for cow bison. Still a big jump though.

Last edited:
Just pay it, don't hunt, move to/hunt another state and don't complain! right BuzzH

Oh the irony of this post!!!!! Just yesterday I get flamed by YOU for bringing up Colorado's attempt to raise resident tag fee's 60%, (and you know full well that not a single penny of the tag increase would go to wildlife, but to fish in this case), and I just need to shut up and pay it, but when Wyoming wants to play with its fee structure its bad!

Maybe you guys should lobby to get Wyoming GF to be an enterprise agency like Colorado's CPW?, that way the skies the limit when it comes to raising money! OTC elk tags for any and everyone. Stop selling OTC Deer tags to residents so you can sell them to NR's and make more money. I know from your previous posts that you like to hunt big bulls and would have to sacrifice that aspect of elk hunting as well as feeling a bit crowded when you hunt, and shorter seasons, but think of all the money GF would have to spend on fish hatcheries, nongame, watchable wildlife, game damage, etc.... not to mention the increase business for all the small towns in the prime hunting area's, so they lobby for even more tag sales!

Thanks for the laugh! But take consolation that you live in a state that actually manages wildlife.

First off, thanks for all that you do Buzz! Believe me, it's very much appreciated!

That is extremely disappointing. The only positive thing I have to say is at least when you do pay the money for the tag and go to WY for a hunt, it really is a quality hunt. Can't say the same about a few other states out there selling their "product" at an extreme price. Thanks again Buzz

Last edited:
Thanks for the update Buzz.

Wow that is a crazy amount of money for preference points and for an archery permit.

Sad deal all around.

Just pay it, don't hunt, move to/hunt another state and don't complain! right BuzzH

Oh the irony of this post!!!!! Just yesterday I get flamed by YOU for bringing up Colorado's attempt to raise resident tag fee's 60%, (and you know full well that not a single penny of the tag increase would go to wildlife, but to fish in this case), and I just need to shut up and pay it, but when Wyoming wants to play with its fee structure its bad!

Maybe you guys should lobby to get Wyoming GF to be an enterprise agency like Colorado's CPW?, that way the skies the limit when it comes to raising money! OTC elk tags for any and everyone. Stop selling OTC Deer tags to residents so you can sell them to NR's and make more money. I know from your previous posts that you like to hunt big bulls and would have to sacrifice that aspect of elk hunting as well as feeling a bit crowded when you hunt, and shorter seasons, but think of all the money GF would have to spend on fish hatcheries, nongame, watchable wildlife, game damage, etc.... not to mention the increase business for all the small towns in the prime hunting area's, so they lobby for even more tag sales!

Thanks for the laugh! But take consolation that you live in a state that actually manages wildlife.

Why does it come as no shock that you fail in the ability to read and comprehend? May I suggest remedial hooked on phonics?

I'm all about license fee increases if it results in increased funding for the Department. But, this bill is NOT going to increase funding for fish, wildlife, nothing.

All it did was allow the Legislature to remove 5-6 million of GF funding from general funds...and that difference will be made up by this fee increase. We're all paying more for the same.

If the fee increase would have resulted in a gain in operating budget to the GF Department (for whatever appropriate use for fish, wildlife, etc.) and kept the general funds in place, I would have no problem with the increase.

There's a difference, but if you're so dense that you cant understand that...well, don't know how to help you.

In your hurry to break your leg jumping to false conclusions, "putting me in my place", you make yourself look like a total idiot who lacks basic comprehension.

Well done?

Last edited:
Is it likely that the governor will sign it or is there a possibility of vetoing it?

I was wondering the same thing. I wonder if Mead is aware of the stripping of General Fund monies from G&F? Id say Man-up Mead and use your veto....if indeed he can use his veto power on this abortion of a bill.

I'm not a Wyoming resident, but if I remember correctly weren't the general funds something that happened a few years ago when the game and fish wanted to increase fees but it didn't get passed and instead the legislature kicked in general funds to cover post retirement health benefits for the employees or something like that out of the general fund?

Wouldn't it somewhat make sense that if now they get the fee increase that they wouldn't need the extra money kicked in from the general fund?

Seems like it is just back to a level playing field where the department pays it's own way like almost all of the other game and fish departments in the western states.

Why does it come as no shock that you fail in the ability to read and comprehend? May I suggest remedial hooked on phonics?

We're all paying more for the same.

I can read just fine, but I too will be paying more for the same.

I have no problem paying more for an elk or deer tag here if the additional money was being used for a big game access program, opening up more State Trust Land, easements into landlocked public lands, winter range and things related to deer & elk.

But I am opposed to paying more for my hunting tags so the CPW can stock more 10" trout in every creek and pond, and everything else unrelated to the tag I'm buying.

The difference between you and I, is I can see and understand your point of view and frustrations, where you are closed minded to anything but the Buzz thought process with any topic.

I'm not a Wyoming resident, but if I remember correctly weren't the general funds something that happened a few years ago when the game and fish wanted to increase fees but it didn't get passed and instead the legislature kicked in general funds to cover post retirement health benefits for the employees or something like that out of the general fund?

No, and the GF can not recommend or lobby for, or against, a license fee increase. The WYSA lobbied for the fee increases to off-set projected shortfalls and INCREASE GF revenue. The General Fund revenue was not in response to the fee increase bills.

Wouldn't it somewhat make sense that if now they get the fee increase that they wouldn't need the extra money kicked in from the general fund?

No, not if there is projected budget shortage in the near future. Governor Mead appointed a GF funding task force and one of the main items to come from the task force was to allow commission authority to raise license fees. Yet, the Legislature routinely doesn't allow that to happen. IMO, now that the Legislature has removed any flesh in the game they may have had through funding from the general fund, they need to get out of the business of meddling with the GF.

On top of that, when you consider that the outdoor recreation economy, largely driven by wildlife, hunting, and fishing is a 4.5 billion a year industry in Wyoming and directly employs 50K Wyomingites, I don't believe a 5-6 million dollar allocation from the general fund is out of line or inappropriate. Seems like a wise investment to the economy of Wyoming, a commitment from EVERYONE to promote outdoor recreation, and the future of same.

A better question would be, why aren't those that are benefitting from the resource required to put anything back to support, manage, maintain, and ensure its future? Seems pretty selfish to take with both hands and give nothing back.

Seems like it is just back to a level playing field where the department pays it's own way like almost all of the other game and fish departments in the western states.

That's fine, but again, its my contention that those profiting from the resource to the tune of 4.5 billion a year, should probably be paying a little something-something for management.

If you're good with paying higher fees for the same thing...great. Personally, I don't think a measly 6 million investment from the general fund to drive a 4.5 billion a year economy, generate 300 million in state and local taxes, etc. is asking for much.

But, if you're comfortable with sportsmen continuing to pay for it all...well, expect more fee increases.

Funny what happens when the general fund dries up and the good times end. I remember when they first started putting gen. fund money in to wildlife. We didn't like it, but went along because the agency thought it was the best option due to opposition of alternative funding from a certain Utah group and their buddies in the Wyoming Legislature. That was 2006.

I don't envy you, Buzz. Good luck.

I can read just fine, but I too will be paying more for the same.

I have no problem paying more for an elk or deer tag here if the additional money was being used for a big game access program, opening up more State Trust Land, easements into landlocked public lands, winter range and things related to deer & elk.

But I am opposed to paying more for my hunting tags so the CPW can stock more 10" trout in every creek and pond, and everything else unrelated to the tag I'm buying.

The difference between you and I, is I can see and understand your point of view and frustrations, where you are closed minded to anything but the Buzz thought process with any topic.

If your idea of ROI isn't about watching a kid drag a 10 inch stocked trout through the dirt...you're one miserable individual, and are missing the whole point of the outdoors.

The selfishness displayed by some sportsmen is really something.

Wow!! What me, me me mentality you have. If you just go hunting on an elk ranch then you can be sure your $$$ is going towards only the elk you're hunting.

I read through it twice and can't see anything about the increased NR special prices. Is that in there?

If your idea of ROI isn't about watching a kid drag a 10 inch stocked trout through the dirt...you're one miserable individual, and are missing the whole point of the outdoors.

The selfishness displayed by some sportsmen is really something.

Sorry your statement doesn't apply to me, I have 4 kids and I take them fishing and hunting with me every chance I get. Enjoy every minute of it too!

Again I never see you guys wanting or advocating Colorado's system in your state. And if you were honest, I bet you would be opposed to it if Wyoming attempted to mimic the Colorado model

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back