Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Feral Swine Spread Article

406LIFE

Here is link.

The study suggest that in just another 30 – 50 more years, wild hogs will invade most of the continental U.S.A.

Map of spread is interesting. Where did the pigs in ND come from?

Feral hogs have been spreading across Manitoba and Saskatchewan for some time. That is probably where those hogs in North Dakota came from, and that is widely regarded as the most likely route of incursion of feral swine into Montana.

Need a wall...

I do question this piece of the article:

Northern movement of wild pigs has hampered by cold weather. The article notes that with climate change, the pigs will likely move north in coming years

I live in the little block of hogs in southern Indiana. The pigs we have around here are mostly of European descent, with relatively little domestic in them per the state biologist. They are descended from the same species that roams Siberia; I doubt the cold bothers them that much.

I think much of the spread of feral pigs is due to humans releasing them for the purpose of hunting.

I think much of the spread of feral pigs is due to humans releasing them for the purpose of hunting.

You're probably correct for the most part!

What I love is how landowners are up in arms over crop and property damage, demand restitution from the government but yet charge a small fortune for anyone wanting to hunt them.

Partly due to releases but they reproduce like wildfire. I think the bitter cold will slow some of the spread but like LCH some of the hogs we take in Texas very much have the traits of the Eurasian boars. I do know they do not like the cold where we hunt em. They hole up to stay warm and are active very little during cold snaps.

Killer bees and fire ants are kept from moving too far north by extreme cold, but not swine.

Sus scrofa Linnaeus "The animal probably originated in Southeast Asia during the Early Pleistocene, and outcompeted other suid species as it spread throughout the Old World."

"The grey wolf is the wild boar's main predator throughout most of its range except in the Far East and the Lesser Sunda Islands, where it is replaced by the tiger and Komodo dragon respectively." I guess that means that if the Sus scrofa Linnaeus start showing up here in MT, we're going to need to get some tigers or komodo dragons. ;)

All kidding aside, having experienced a herd of feral hogs on our Texas property, it was no joking matter, it became war.

Back