Yeti GOBOX Collection

New wall tent advice

I see people saying get an external frame option. I can't seem to find one anywhere to look at.

Anyone know how many feet of 1" EMT would be needed for a davis 14x16 tent? I'm looking at pulling the trigger on this size with the angle kit and im trying to figure total cost once I get and cut the needed EMT.
Thanks
Did you pull the trigger?
21 10' sticks if you do 5 rafters instead of the standard 4 to handle snow load.

The rain fly, or tarp as you all are calling it, also helps the snow slide right off the top so you don't get a collapse or ripped roof under heavy snow weight.
It also helps keep it cooler in the tent when hot outside. It also keeps the tent drier when raining so when take down time comes it will take as long to dry out the sides.
We have never had a problem with moisture in the tent with the rain fly on.
This was 12 inches of snow on the ground and none on the tent because of the fly.

DSCN9029.jpg

Awesome pic wytex! Can't wait to get into the mountains. 39 days til we head west.

John- I am looking hard at the Kodiak flex-bow 10X14, and trying to decide between it or a Davis 12X14. It seems you have one of these tents and like it. I have a couple of questions; I plan on using this tent in November in MT, I am wondering if a buddy type heater is sufficient in this tent for temps in the teens? Does this cause condensation issues with propane heat? I am feeling like I may regret not having a wood stove...I do like the solid floor and many of the features in the Kodiak for trips in my home area (Washington, always wet).

A lot of good information here.... Looks like Davis tents are the way to go. I've been looking into getting one for years and finally have the funds to pull the trigger. Love all the pictures too, nice to see peoples set ups.

John- I am looking hard at the Kodiak flex-bow 10X14, and trying to decide between it or a Davis 12X14. It seems you have one of these tents and like it. I have a couple of questions; I plan on using this tent in November in MT, I am wondering if a buddy type heater is sufficient in this tent for temps in the teens? Does this cause condensation issues with propane heat? I am feeling like I may regret not having a wood stove...I do like the solid floor and many of the features in the Kodiak for trips in my home area (Washington, always wet).

The Kodiak tent is great in my opinion. I like the floor and can set it up myself. I've used it from 70 degrees to 15 degrees, I set a 20lb bottle of propane out the back door and run the hose into the tent with the big buddy heater and keeps it very warm. I've had it in really bad wind and rain and it's held up very well.

I have this tent as well, I bought it to be used for family camping and hunting since my wife doesn't care much for the floor less well rent. I've had it down to single digits and 40 mph winds and it did awesome, actually better than the wall tents in our group It only takes me about 5 minutes to set up too, versus about 30 for my wall tent. I use a tank top icehouse heater to take the chill off in the morning and evening and that works well.

Can't wait for this fall and our new Davis 15x18 with the internal frame and new stove with the warming rack and water heater. I don't know that I will want to leave the mountain. I will post pics of our set up for sure. I whatever tent I have been in I really could never be without a wood stove in the cold weather months. The unlimited supply of fuel along with the ability to dry everything out, cook with it and heat water make it a no brainer for me.

Can't wait for this fall and our new Davis 15x18 with the internal frame and new stove with the warming rack and water heater. I don't know that I will want to leave the mountain. I will post pics of our set up for sure. I whatever tent I have been in I really could never be without a wood stove in the cold weather months. The unlimited supply of fuel along with the ability to dry everything out, cook with it and heat water make it a no brainer for me.

That sounds pretty darn nice! I have a 12x14 canvas That when combined with my friends, turns into a nice R&R area with sleep quarters.
attachment.php

Inside view:
attachment.php

I would prefer a 15x18 vs two tents combined...

This is the usual setup - though now with a tarp over the tent and extended over the front.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Hi there, resurrecting an old thread here.
I am looking to buy my first sall tent. Im thinking I want a Davis, I will be using this with my Son and maybe one other person. We will hunt and camp out of it in the fall and cold weather. I want to use it year round. Summer camping too.

Looking at the order options Im thinking 12x14? Water, mildew and fire treatment.

Im thinking 3 windows?

Not sure on one door or a door in each end?

Full loose floor?
3/4 floor?
Full floor with cutout? (Not sure what that means)

Rain fly w awning? Made from poly or vinyl?

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
You generally will not regret going with a larger size. A few more poles and nails, but having space for more people or gear is never a bad thing. For summer, two doors and or more windows helps a lot. I just have one door and one window and it gets really stuffy, even on warm Sept days. We use old paint tarps for a floor, works great and is cheap. A cutout is for the wood stove. Davis doesn't recommend flies (or at least they didn't when I bought mine), and I have never used one. I have occasionally had problems with ice dams on the eves and water dripping down the walls after a heavy snow, so a fly is not a bad idea, but if you want to scrimp somewhere, I would leave out the fly.

You generally will not regret going with a larger size. A few more poles and nails, but having space for more people or gear is never a bad thing. For summer, two doors and or more windows helps a lot. I just have one door and one window and it gets really stuffy, even on warm Sept days. We use old paint tarps for a floor, works great and is cheap. A cutout is for the wood stove. Davis doesn't recommend flies (or at least they didn't when I bought mine), and I have never used one. I have occasionally had problems with ice dams on the eves and water dripping down the walls after a heavy snow, so a fly is not a bad idea, but if you want to scrimp somewhere, I would leave out the fly.
Thank you so much for the detailed response! I appreciate that.
I was thinking about a 10x12 first for my son and i but then i thought about going to a 12x14.
What are your thoughts? To big and it gets hard to heat.

Too big and it gets hard to heat.
Yea, I suppose that is a concern. With a woodstove going full blast, my 14x16 gets uncomfortably warm regardless of the weather. However, this past season we were in a stage III fire ban, so no woodstove was allowed, even when it was below zero. At those temps, my Big Buddy heater didn't cut it. My only other reference is an ice shack (3'x6') and that can stay plenty warm with a little propane stove.

Thank you so much for the detailed response! I appreciate that.
I was thinking about a 10x12 first for my son and i but then i thought about going to a 12x14.
What are your thoughts? To big and it gets hard to heat.
12x14 is a good compromise, perfect for 2 guys. You won’t have any problems turning it into a sweat lodge with a wood stove.

You won’t regret buying a Davis tent. Great quality and customer service. 12x14 at least. Mine is 14x16 and as stated above, it can get uncomfortably hot with a wood stove so heating isn’t a problem. I wouldnt get a floor, just use a tarp. I put down indoor/outdoor carpet too which make it very nice without boots on. And the carpet rolls up pretty tight and doesn’t weigh much. Getting a tarp bigger than the tent and using it as the fly is a lot cheaper and you can easily make a porch which is really handy. I have a door and 3 windows and that seems to be enough ventilation in the summer. Hope this helps.

You won’t regret buying a Davis tent. Great quality and customer service. 12x14 at least. Mine is 14x16 and as stated above, it can get uncomfortably hot with a wood stove so heating isn’t a problem. I wouldnt get a floor, just use a tarp. I put down indoor/outdoor carpet too which make it very nice without boots on. And the carpet rolls up pretty tight and doesn’t weigh much. Getting a tarp bigger than the tent and using it as the fly is a lot cheaper and you can easily make a porch which is really handy. I have a door and 3 windows and that seems to be enough ventilation in the summer. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info! Im very close to pulling the trigger on a 12x14 with two doors, colorado storm flaps and 2 windows.

Thanks for all the great info! Did you order yours w the fire resistance?

Thanks for all the great info! Did you order yours w the fire resistance?
Yea, I got a Davis tent that had everything (sunforger, mildew, and fire retardant). I have been using mine for a couple weeks a year, on average, for almost 20 years and took it in for repairs once (~$100 for a couple ember-burned holes and a grommet that was starting to tear out). One of the best investments I have ever made.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back