Caribou Gear

Econo Hunt

Kiwi

This year I missed out on shooting a bear in Wyoming and am looking at my options for next year. One option is this 'Econo Hunt" from Ridge Runner Outfitters

http://www.ridgerunneroutfittersllc.com/hunt_information/Black Bear.htm#EconoHunt

Does any have experience using this type of outfitter arrangement or this particular outfitter? It looks like a cost effective way to have access to knowledge bear hunters and have a bait set up. I plan to bow hunt.

Thanks for any feedback.

PS if anyone can recommend a good bear outfitter please let me know. Looking in Wyoming, Idaho, Montana area. Happy to rough it so not looking for an expensive luxury type camp. I'm a kiwi after all :)

Last edited:
I had the opportunity to view Ridgerunner's site and the info about their Econo hunt. I spend a lot of time hunting the Clearwater NF and in fact almost purchased this outfitter concession near Skull Creek but decided against it. My associate did. However, she sold it several years later. There is an overabundance of black bears in this area. The hunt includes access to a baited site and retrieval of your bear or bears but does not seem to include skinning or processing. The fee is $1200 for 5 days with an additional fee of $300 for a 2nd bear. I am unaware of this type of service being offered by outfitting services elsewhere in Idaho. It does appear to be more economical than traditional bear hunting services. The pros: high density of black bears, two bear unit, reduced bear tag prices, reduced outfitter service fees. The cons: reduced services, you provide your own food and living accommodations and there is no guarantee the bait site will be active during your hunt. If you are an inexperienced bear hunter and this is your first black bear hunt it might be worthwhile. However make certain that you choose the best possible hunt period. This can be a an important decision based on a number of factors such as how many other hunters have utilized these baited sites before you. If you need additional help in deciding whether or not to book your hunt send me a pm and I'll be happy to help.

Just a gander at the "Trophy" photos showed a whole bunch of small, immature, bears are taken by that group. Nothing I saw made me think I would want to go there and hunt.

Thanks for the comments. Since I made the original post I have done a lot of research and have three options that look good. DIY in Idaho/Montana, semiguided in Ontario and guided in New Mexico. I'm at the point we're i have had enough of the Internet research and will mull it over until the new year when I will decide.

Check out the website for Weitas Creek Outfitters. If the bears in their photo gallery don't meet your "minimum requirements" Alaska Brown Bear hunts might be what you're looking for S-S.

Last edited:
Thanks Hannibal, hunting Alaska (brown bear and goat) is my dream hunt. But as I am required to hire a guide it probably wont happen in this lifetime.

I have firmed up my plans for a bear hunt. Heading up to Alberta for an archery bear and moose hunt. But hope to get back to the states next year.

Thanks again for all the posts and pms offering advice. As always happy to provide advice on OYO hunting public land in NZ.

If you want a big bear, you may consider checking into the San Carlos Reservation in Az. Their bear permits are not all that expensive and they have some giants, as do other areas of Arizona.

Thanks Hannibal, hunting Alaska (brown bear and goat) is my dream hunt. But as I am required to hire a guide it probably wont happen in this lifetime.

I have firmed up my plans for a bear hunt. Heading up to Alberta for an archery bear and moose hunt. But hope to get back to the states next year.

Thanks again for all the posts and pms offering advice. As always happy to provide advice on OYO hunting public land in NZ.

You're quite welcome. Enjoy your hunt and don't forget about considering Idaho for your next hunt.

If you want a big bear, you may consider checking into the San Carlos Reservation in Az. Their bear permits are not all that expensive and they have some giants, as do other areas of Arizona.

Could you elaborate a little more as it concerns non-res, non-tribal member hunts for black bear there? Their website is not too informative. Thanks in advance.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back